Dear Friends and Colleagues,
We are so excited about the upcoming 13th InWomen's Virtual Conference on June 18th, 2021! We already have 14 countries represented. The diverse program of speakers lined up will discuss issues of context, culture, and intersectionality when addressing barriers faced by women who use substances globally. The conference will feature a "COVID and Substance Use Disorder Stories from the Frontline" panel and "A Conversation with Sister Colleagues: Inclusion, "Femtoring" and Mentoring, Leadership and the Succession and Future of our Field." If you would like to register for the conference or learn more about our speakers this year, please visit the conference site here and follow the InWomen's Conference Twitter account here @InWomenConf! Be sure to register by June 15th if you are interested in attending the conference.
This past month we welcomed RTI Global Gender Center affiliate Vivian Taylor, and Shiona Heru, to share their work determining the cost-effectiveness of transgender health care, and the impact that proposed legislation can have specifically on transgender individuals in North Carolina. We thank them for their work, and you can read more about the event below.
As vaccine roll-out succeeds globally, our research is starting back up to address issues of inequality and support greater health and empowerment and may even increase with travel restrictions lifting soon.
I hope that you and your family remain healthy and safe.
RTI Gender-related May Publications
- Bresnahan BW, Vodicka E, Babigumira JB, Malik AM, Yego F, Lokangaka A, Chitah BM, Bauer Z, Chavez H, Moore JL, Garrison LP, Swanson JO, Swanson D, McClure EM, Goldenberg RL, Esamai F, Garces AL, Chomba E, Saleem S, Tshefu A, Bose CL, Bauserman M, Carlo W, Bucher S, Liechty EA, Nathan RO. Cost estimation alongside a multi-regional, multi-country randomized trial of antenatal ultrasound in five low-and-middle-income countries. BMC Public Health. 2021;21(1):952. doi: 10.1186/s12889-021-10750-8.
- Caswell BL, Arnold CD, Lutter CK, Iannotti LL, Chipatala R, Werner ER, Maleta KM, Stewart CP. Impacts of an egg intervention on nutrient adequacy among young Malawian children. Matern Child Nutr. 2021:e13196. doi: 10.1111/mcn.13196.
- Chawla S, Laptook AR, Smith EA, Tan S, Natarajan G, Wyckoff MH, Ambalavanan N, Bell EF, Van Meurs KP, Stevenson DK, Werner EF, Greenberg RG, Das A, Shankaran S; Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) Neonatal Research Network. In-hospital mortality and morbidity among extremely preterm infants in relation to maternal body mass index. J Perinatol. 2021;41(5):1014-1024. doi: 10.1038/s41372-020-00847-0.
- D'Alessandro A, Fu X, Kanias T, Reisz JA, Culp-Hill R, Guo Y, Gladwin MT, Page G, Kleinman S, Lanteri M, Stone M, Busch MP, Zimring JC; Recipient Epidemiology and Donor Evaluation Study-III (REDS III). Donor sex, age and ethnicity impact stored red blood cell antioxidant metabolism through mechanisms in part explained by glucose 6-phosphate dehydrogenase levels and activity. Haematologica. 2021;106(5):1290-1302. doi: 10.3324/haematol.2020.246603.
- Deese J, Philip N, Lind M, Ahmed K, Batting J, Beksinska M, Edward VA, Louw CE, Onono M, Palanee-Phillips T, Smit JA, Baeten JM, Donnell D, Mastro TD, Mugo NR, Nanda K, Rees H, Morrison C. Sexually transmitted infections among women randomised to depot medroxyprogesterone acetate, a copper intrauterine device or a levonorgestrel implant. Sex Transm Infect. 2021;97(4):249-255. doi: 10.1136/sextrans-2020-054590.
- Dworetz AR, Natarajan G, Langer J, Kinlaw K, James JR, Bidegain M, Das A, Poindexter B, Bell EF, Cotten CM, Kirpalani H, Shankaran S, Stoll BJ; Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health; Human Development Neonatal Research Network. (2021). Withholding or withdrawing life-sustaining treatment in extremely low gestational age neonates. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. doi: 10.1136/archdischild-2020-318855.
- Ezran M, Trude ACB, Hepworth AD, Black MM. Parent Website Engagement and Health Equity Implications in a Child Care-Based Wellness Intervention. J Nutr Educ Behav. 2021:S1499-4046(21)00082-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jneb.2021.03.003.
- Gichane MW, Katz AWK, Ngure K, Scheckter R, Woeber K, Reddy K, Tauya T, Zimba C, Etima J, Mangxilana N, Palanee-Phillips T, van der Straten A; MTN-025/HOPE Study Team. Impact of Women's Home Environment on Use of the Dapivirine Vaginal Ring for HIV Prevention in Sub-Saharan Africa. AIDS Behav. 2021. doi: 10.1007/s10461-021-03311-y.
- Jensen M, George MJ, Russell MA, Lippold MA, Odgers CL. Does Adolescent Digital Technology Use Detract from the Parent-Adolescent Relationship? J Res Adolesc. 2021;31(2):469-481. doi: 10.1111/jora.12618.
- Kumbhat N, Eggleston B, Davis AS, DeMauro SB, Van Meurs KP, Foglia EE, Lakshminrusimha S, Walsh MC, Watterberg KL, Wyckoff MH, Das A, Handley SC; Generic Database Subcommittee of the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Neonatal Research Network. Umbilical Cord Milking vs Delayed Cord Clamping and Associations with In-Hospital Outcomes among Extremely Premature Infants. J Pediatr. 2021;232:87-94.e4. doi: 10.1016/j.jpeds.2020.12.072.
- MacDuffie KE, Estes AM, Harrington LT, Peay HL, Piven J, Pruett JR Jr, Wolff JJ, Wilfond BS. Presymptomatic Detection and Intervention for Autism Spectrum Disorder. Pediatrics. 2021;147(5):e2020032250. doi: 10.1542/peds.2020-032250.
- Montgomery ET, Katz AWK, Duby Z, Mansoor LE, Morar NS, Naidoo K, Tsidya M, Chitukuta M, Guma V, Tenza S, Leslie J, Garcia M, Naidoo S. Men's Sexual Experiences with the Dapivirine Vaginal Ring in Malawi, South Africa, Uganda and Zimbabwe. AIDS Behav. 2021;25(6):1890-1900. doi: 10.1007/s10461-020-03119-2.
- Porter KA, O'Neill C, Drake E, Parker S, Escolar ML, Montgomery S, Moon W, Worrall C, Peay HL. Parent Experiences of Sanfilippo Syndrome Impact and Unmet Treatment Needs: A Qualitative Assessment. Neurol Ther. 2021 (1):197-212. doi: 10.1007/s40120-020-00226-z
- Rael CT, Roberts S, Ibitoye M, Gorbach PM, Palanee-Phillips T, Harkoo I, Mbilizi Y, Panchia R, Siva S, Tembo T, Agwau Akello C, Balkus J, Riddler S, Carballo-Diéguez A. Likely clinical depression and HIV-related decline in antiretroviral therapy untreated women who seroconverted during participation in microbicide trials in sub-Saharan Africa. Int J STD AIDS. 2021;32(7):620-628. doi: 10.1177/0956462420975935.
- Richardson D, Zhan L, Mahtani R, McRoy L, Mitra D, Reynolds M, Odom D, Hollis K, Kaye JA, Jones C, Hargis J. A prospective observational study of patient-reported functioning and quality of life in advanced and metastatic breast cancer utilizing a novel mobile application. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2021;187(1):113-124. doi: 10.1007/s10549-020-06082-7.
- Rysavy MA, Li L, Tyson JE, Jensen EA, Das A, Ambalavanan N, Laughon MM, Greenberg RG, Patel RM, Pedroza C, Bell EF; Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Neonatal Research Network. Should Vitamin A Injections to Prevent Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia or Death Be Reserved for High-Risk Infants?: Reanalysis of the NICHD Neonatal Research Network Randomized Trial. J Pediatr. 2021:S0022-3476(21)00445-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jpeds.2021.05.022.
- Scaglione NM, Buben A, Williams J, Cance JD, Elek E, Clarke T, Graham PW. A Latent Class Analysis of Prevention Approaches Used to Reduce Community-Level Prescription Drug Misuse in Adolescents and Young Adults. J Prim Prev. 2021;42(3):279-296. doi: 10.1007/s10935-021-00631-6.
- Willis SK, Hatch EE, Wesselink AK, Rothman KJ, Mikkelsen EM, Ahrens KA, Wise LA. Post-partum interval and time to pregnancy in a prospective preconception cohort. (2021) Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2021 May;35(3):271-280. doi: 10.1111/ppe.12702.
- Yland JJ, Eisenberg ML, Hatch EE, Rothman KJ, McKinnon CJ, Nillni YI, Sommer GJ, Wang TR, Wise LA. A North American prospective study of depression, psychotropic medication use, and semen quality. Fertil Steril. 2021:S0015-0282(21)00263-6. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2021.03.052.
- Zyczynski HM, Arya LA, Lukacz ES, Richter HE, Rahn DD, Sung VW, Visco AG, Shaffer A, Jelovsek JE, Rogers R, Mazloomdoost D, Gantz MG; Eunice Kennedy Shriver NICHD Pelvic Floor Disorders Network (PFDN). Design of a Randomized Controlled Trial of Percutaneous Posterior Tibial Nerve Stimulation for the Treatment of Refractory Fecal Incontinence in Women: The NeurOmodulaTion for Accidental Bowel Leakage Study. Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2021. doi: 10.1097/SPV.0000000000001050.
We update our website regularly with all RTI Gender-related publications under resources. Please let us know if we missed any of yours.
RTI Gender-related May Project Wins
- Anna Yaros and team on their win, Ashe County Student Safety Assessment and Response, from NC Ashe County Schools
- Valerie Flax and team on their win, Alive & Thrive Portfolio-Wide Learning Assessments, from Family Health International (FHI 360)
- Christina Hannum and team on their win, Rwanda Feed the Future Facilitate Investment Required for Sustainable Export (FIRST), from USAID Rwanda Mission
- Josh Hendrix and team on their win, BJA STOP School Violence Program: Category 8 (Support of a State School Safety Center), from the NC Department of Public Instruction
MAY 12, 2021 1:00 - 2:00 PM EDT
We were joined by External Affiliate Vivian Taylor, and Shiona Heru, who discussed their work relating to the potential impact that proposed legislation and policies can have on transgender individuals, particularly on healthcare. If you would like to learn more about this past event or potential collaboration opportunities, please contact Katie Grimes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
JUNE 18, 2021 9:30 AM -- 4:00 PM EDT USA
Registration for the 13th InWomen's conference is now open!
Theme: Context, Culture, & Intersectionality: Barriers and Challenges Facing Women with Substance Use Disorders Globally
For more information about how to register, cost, and to view the conference program, please visit: http://bit.ly/3aRhkCB
JUNE IS PRIDE MONTH
Get ready for some Twitter love all throughout the month of
June as we honor Pride Month!
Gender Science News
- Mothers' depression impacts mother-infant relationships
- Study finds women with osteoporosis and low bone density are more at-risk for hearing loss
- In utero exposure to air pollution particles is linked to asthma in preschoolers
- Tampons, sanitary napkins, could diagnose yeast infections with color-changing threads
- COVID-19 mRNA vaccines are immunogenic in pregnant and lactating women, study finds
Are you following us on Twitter
Don't miss out on snippets of our current gender-related research and important dates to remember!
Interested in or know of someone who is interested in
becoming an external affiliate of the RTI Global Gender Center?
Click Here for More Information