Dear Friends and Colleagues,
It is hard to believe that we are already halfway through 2021, with a very busy June behind us! June was LGBT+ Pride Month, and while we campaigned on social media, RTI's PRIDE Employee Resource Group hosted educational events throughout the month to celebrate. We also celebrated Juneteenth, which commemorates the end of slavery in the United States, and saw the landmark passing of the day as a federal holiday – however enslavement and trafficking of women and children continue globally. The work that the Gender Center does to impact gender inequality is essential.
On a more celebratory note: On June 18th we helped to host the 13th InWomen's Conference (more on this below). Our affiliates have been hard at work on their projects and publications, and I invite you to read a blog about one of our latest gender-related publications.
I hope that you and your family remain healthy and safe as vaccine rollout continues and as new variants of COVID-19 continue to emerge.
RTI Gender-related June Publications
- Allen, S. T., Schneider, K. E., Mazhnaya, A., White, R. H., O’Rourke, A., Kral, A. H., Bluthenthal, R. N., Kilkenny, M. E., & Sherman, S. G. (2021). Factors Associated with Likelihood of Initiating Others into Injection Drug Use Among People Who Inject Drugs in West Virginia. AIDS and Behavior. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10461-021-03325-6
- Anthony, M. S., Reed, S. D., Armstrong, M. A., Getahun, D., Gatz, J. L., Saltus, C. W., Zhou, X., Schoendorf, J., Postlethwaite, D. A., Raine-Bennett, T., Fassett, M. J., Peipert, J. F., Ritchey, M. E., Ichikawa, L. E., Lynen, R., Alabaster, A. L., Merchant, M., Chiu, V. Y., Shi, J. M., … Asiimwe, A. (2021). Design of the Association of Uterine Perforation and Expulsion of Intrauterine Device study: a multisite retrospective cohort study. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 224(6), 599.e1-599.e18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2021.01.003
- Barcelona, J. M., Castelli, D. M., Duncan Cance, J., Pitt Barnes, S., & Lee, S. (2021). Presidential youth fitness program implementation: An antecedent to organizational change. Evaluation and Program Planning, 86, 101919. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.evalprogplan.2021.101919
- Basso, O., Willis, S. K., Hatch, E. E., Mikkelsen, E. M., Rothman, K. J., & Wise, L. A. (2021). Maternal age at birth and daughter’s fecundability. Human Reproduction, 36(7), 1970–1980. https://doi.org/10.1093/humrep/deab057
- Checkley, W., Williams, K. N., Kephart, J. L., Fandiño-Del-Rio, M., Steenland, N. K., Gonzales, G. F., Naeher, L. P., Harvey, S. A., Moulton, L. H., Davila-Roman, V. G., Goodman, D., Tarazona-Meza, C., Miele, C. H., Simkovich, S., Chiang, M., Chartier, R. T., Koehler, K., & CHAP Trial Investigators. (2021). Effects of a Household Air Pollution Intervention with Liquefied Petroleum Gas on Cardiopulmonary Outcomes in Peru. A Randomized Controlled Trial. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, 203(11), 1386–1397. https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.202006-2319OC
- Ciruelos, E. M., Rugo, H. S., Mayer, I. A., Levy, C., Forget, F., Delgado Mingorance, J. I., Safra, T., Masuda, N., Park, Y. H., Juric, D., Conte, P., Campone, M., Loibl, S., Iwata, H., Zhou, X., Park, J., Ridolfi, A., Lorenzo, I., & André, F. (2021). Patient-Reported Outcomes in Patients With PIK3CA-Mutated Hormone Receptor-Positive, Human Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor 2-Negative Advanced Breast Cancer From SOLAR-1. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 39(18), 2005–2015. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.20.01139
- Cramer, R. J., Johnson, K. L., Nobles, M. R., Holley, S. R., Desmarais, S. L., Gemberling, T. M., Wright, S., Wilsey, C. N., & Van Dorn, R. A. (2021). Lifetime Suicide-Related Behavior, Violent Victimization, and Behavioral Health Outcomes: Results From a Vulnerable Population Needs Assessment. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 36(11–12), 5860–5871. https://doi.org/10.1177/0886260518801941
- Easter, M. M., Swanson, J. W., Crozier, W. E., Robertson, A. G., Garrett, B. L., Modjadidi, K., & Swartz, M. S. (2021). North carolina specialty courts, treatment access, and the substance use crisis: A promising but underfunded model. Psychiatric Services, appips202000868. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ps.202000868
- Fitzpatrick, S. S., Morgan-López, A. A., Saraiya, T. C., Back, S. E., Killeen, T. K., Norman, S. B., López-Castro, T., Ruglass, L. M., Saavedra, L. M., & Hien, D. A. (2021). Graded response item response theory in scaling suicidal thoughts and behaviors among trauma-exposed women with substance use disorders. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors. https://doi.org/10.1037/adb0000757
- Foreman, P. K., Margulis, A. V., Alexander, K., Shediac, R., Calingaert, B., Harding, A., Pladevall-Vila, M., & Landis, S. (2021). Birth prevalence of phenylalanine hydroxylase deficiency: a systematic literature review and meta-analysis. Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases, 16(1), 253. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13023-021-01874-6
- Grobman, W. A., Crenshaw, E. G., Marsh, D. J., McNeil, R. B., Pemberton, V. L., Haas, D. M., Debbink, M., Mercer, B. M., Parry, S., Reddy, U., Saade, G., Simhan, H., Mukhtar, F., Wing, D. A., Kershaw, K. N., & NICHD nuMoM2b NHLBI nuMoM2b Heart Health Study Networks. (2021). Associations of the Neighborhood Built Environment with Gestational Weight Gain. American Journal of Perinatology. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0041-1730363
- Hegarty-Craver, M., Kroner, B. L., Bumbut, A., DeFilipp, S. J., Gaillard, W. D., & Gilchrist, K. H. (2021). Cardiac-based detection of seizures in children with epilepsy. Epilepsy & Behavior, 122, 108129. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2021.108129
- Hendrix, N., Hauber, B., Lee, C. I., Bansal, A., & Veenstra, D. L. (2021). Artificial intelligence in breast cancer screening: primary care provider preferences. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 28(6), 1117–1124. https://doi.org/10.1093/jamia/ocaa292
- Husnik, M. J., Brown, E. R., Dadabhai, S. S., Gaffoor, Z., Jeenarain, N., Kiweewa, F. M., Livant, E., Mansoor, L. E., Mirembe, B. G., Palanee-Phillips, T., Singh, D., Siva, S., Soto-Torres, L., van der Straten, A., Baeten, J. M., & M. T. N.-020/ASPIRE Study Team. (2021). Correlates of Adherence to the Dapivirine Vaginal Ring for HIV-1 Prevention. AIDS and Behavior. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10461-021-03231-x
- Kulkarni, V. G., Sunilkumar, K. B., Nagaraj, T. S., Uddin, Z., Ahmed, I., Hwang, K., Goudar, S. S., Guruprasad, G., Saleem, S., Tikmani, S. S., Dhaded, S. M., Yogeshkumar, S., Somannavar, M. S., McClure, E. M., & Goldenberg, R. L. (2021). Maternal and Fetal Vascular Lesions of Malperfusion in the Placentas Associated with Fetal and Neonatal Death: Results of a Prospective Observational Study. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2021.06.001
- Liu, A. Y., Dominguez Islas, C., Gundacker, H., Neradilek, B., Hoesley, C., van der Straten, A., Hendrix, C. W., Beamer, M., Jacobson, C. E., McClure, T., Harrell, T., Bunge, K., Devlin, B., Nuttall, J., Spence, P., Steytler, J., Piper, J. M., Marzinke, M. A., & MTN-036/IPM 047 Protocol Team for the Microbicide Trials Network. (2021). Phase 1 pharmacokinetics and safety study of extended duration dapivirine vaginal rings in the United States. Journal of the International AIDS Society, 24(6), e25747. https://doi.org/10.1002/jia2.25747
- Logie, C. H., Earnshaw, V., Nyblade, L., Turan, J., Stangl, A., Poteat, T., Nelson, L., & Baral, S. (2021). A scoping review of the integration of empowerment-based perspectives in quantitative intersectional stigma research. Global Public Health, 1–16. https://doi.org/10.1080/17441692.2021.1934061
- Marino, M., Ni, P., Kazis, L., Brandt, D., & Jette, A. (2021). Demographic and functional differences among social security disability claimants. Quality of Life Research, 30(6), 1757–1768. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-021-02765-w
- Rehder, P. D., Mills-Koonce, W. R., Wagner, N. J., Zvara, B., & Willoughby, M. T. (2021). Attachment quality assessed from children’s family drawings links to child conduct problems and callous-unemotional behaviors. Attachment & Human Development, 23(3), 239–256. https://doi.org/10.1080/14616734.2020.1714676
- Romano, J. W., Baum, M. M., Demkovich, Z. R., Diana, F., Dobard, C., Feldman, P. L., Garcia-Lerma, J. G., Grattoni, A., Gunawardana, M., Ho, D.-K., Hope, T. J., Massud, I., Milad, M., Moss, J. A., Pons-Faudoa, F. P., Roller, S., van der Straten, A., Srinivasan, S., Veazey, R. S., & Zane, D. (2021). Tenofovir Alafenamide for HIV Prevention: Review of the Proceedings from the Gates Foundation Long-Acting TAF Product Development Meeting. AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses, 37(6), 409–420. https://doi.org/10.1089/AID.2021.0028
- Shu, C., Justice, A. C., Zhang, X., Marconi, V. C., Hancock, D. B., Johnson, E. O., & Xu, K. (2021). DNA methylation biomarker selected by an ensemble machine learning approach predicts mortality risk in an HIV-positive veteran population. Epigenetics, 16(7), 741–753. https://doi.org/10.1080/15592294.2020.1824097
- Vergara, C., Valencia, A., Thio, C. L., Goedert, J. J., Mangia, A., Piazzolla, V., Johnson, E., Kral, A. H., O’Brien, T. R., Mehta, S. H., Kirk, G. D., Kim, A. Y., Lauer, G. M., Chung, R. T., Cox, A. L., Peters, M. G., Khakoo, S. I., Alric, L., Cramp, M. E., … Duggal, P. (2021). A Multiancestry Sex-Stratified Genome-Wide Association Study of Spontaneous Clearance of Hepatitis C Virus. The Journal of Infectious Diseases, 223(12), 2090–2098. https://doi.org/10.1093/infdis/jiaa677
- Wechsberg, W. M., Browne, F. A., Bonner, C. P., Washio, Y., Howard, B. N., & van der Drift, I. (2021). Current Interventions for People Living with HIV Who Use Alcohol: Why Gender Matters. Current HIV/AIDS Reports. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11904-021-00558-x
- Zhao, J., Kral, A. H., Simpson, K. A., Ceasar, R. C., Wenger, L. D., Kirkpatrick, M., & Bluthenthal, R. N. (2021). Factors associated with methamphetamine withdrawal symptoms among people who inject drugs. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 223, 108702. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2021.108702
We update our website regularly with all RTI Gender-related publications under resources. Please let us know if we missed any of yours.
RTI Gender-related June Project Wins
- Marie Stoner and team on their win, A multidimensional digital approach to address vaccine hesitancy and Increase COVID-19 vaccine uptake among African Americans, from UNC Chapel Hill
- Charles Knott and team on their win, HEALing Communities Study: DCC Admin Supplement Yr 3, from the NIH National Institute on Drug Abuse
- Jana Scislowicz and team on their win, Cambodia Inclusive Primary Education Activity [All Children Learning Follow-on (RTI held)], from the USAID Cambodia Mission
- Stacy Costello and team on their win, Building Literacy through STEM Academy, from the Burroughs Wellcome Fund
- Kelle Barrick and team on their win, Research and Evaluation on Trafficking in Persons, from the University of Minnesota
- Sujha Subramanian and team on their win, NICHD grant - Administrative Supplement to Include a Cohort of Boys and Young Men, from PHS NIH NICHD
- Nida Maurya and team on their win, In Support of RTI Main Proposal O-00177925: South Asia Regional Energy Program (SAREP), from the USAID India Mission
- Valerie Flax and team on their win, Feed the Future LSIL Enhance add-on, from the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) - Kenya
Recapping June Events
13th International Women's and Children's Health and Gender (InWomen's) Group Conference
JUNE 18, 2021
The 13th annual InWomen's Conference took place virtually on June 18, 2021! We welcomed over 100 speakers, presenters, and attendees from almost 20 countries who shared research addressing a diversity of topics, from gaming disorder to healthcare decisions among LGBT+ individuals across Europe. A panel on sisterhood and the succession of the field was also held. The conference also featured virtual networking opportunities, including a post-conference reception in Gather.town, an online meeting platform.
If you are interested in accessing any recordings, materials, or information about the conference, you can visit the InWomen's Wiki site HERE.
We are excited to welcome Dr. Ashley Hedrick of UNC and Dr. Madeleine George of RTI International to speak about their research on adolescent digital mental health!
July 28, 2021, 12-1 PM EDT
Please email email@example.com for the details on how to register.
Gender Science News
COVID's impact on pregnancy, birth trends
How gender norms and job loss affect relationship status
Contraception data 'blind spot' could hide pandemic impact on women's reproductive health
Prototype may diagnose common pregnancy complications by monitoring placental oxygen
Several persistent chemicals found in fetal organs
Are you following us on Twitter
Don't miss out on snippets of our current gender-related research and important dates to remember!
Interested in or know of someone who is interested in becoming an external affiliate of the RTI Global Gender Center? Click Here for More Information