Dear Friends and Colleagues,
For obvious reasons, this June will go down in ‘herstory’! The landmark decision made by the U.S. Supreme Court has shaken my beliefs and a reason to continue to do the important work at RTI that addresses sexual and reproductive health, especially for underserved women. I am worried about the public health crises that may occur around the US.
But let us also not let this completely overshadow some great events that did occur in June. There were many celebrations for Pride Month and Juneteenth. We had internal research presentations, virtual and in-person socials, and the ERG Pride event and many events in our communities for Juneteenth. Thank you Marcel Foster for your leadership in +Rising! We also held the 14th InWomen’s Conference, in-person and virtually, which was the first time we were able to network in-person since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic! It was wonderful to see so many familiar and new global researchers committed to our mission. You can read more about the conference below.
We are also so excited to begin ‘femtoring” new scholars for WomenNC’s leadership program from Duke, NCCU, NCSU, Shaw, and UNC! I thank all our RTI Global Gender Center affiliates who are femtors, as this is the largest group of scholars with a passion to address gender inequality and begin to learn social science methods. We are looking forward to their rehearsal presentations in the spring at RTI and then in New York at UNWomen.
I wish you and your family safety, health, and strength during this time. Happy summer to those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, and happy winter to my colleagues and friends in the Southern Hemisphere.
RTI Gender-related June Publications
- Bhushan N. L., Stockton M. A., Harrington B. J., DiPrete B. L., Maliwichi M., Jumbe A. N., Kulisewa K., Chagomerana M.B., Pence B. W., Gaynes B. N.; S4 Study Team, Hosseinipour M. C. Probable perinatal depression and social support among women enrolled in Malawi's Option B+ Program: A longitudinal analysis. J Affect Disord. 2022 Jun 1;306:200-207. doi: 10.1016/j.jad.2022.03.017. Epub 2022 Mar 19. PMID: 35314248
- Boyce, S. C., Deardorff, J., & Minnis, A. M. (2022). Relationship Factors Associated With Early Adolescent Dating Violence Victimization and Perpetration Among Latinx Youth in an Agricultural Community. Journal of interpersonal violence, 37(11-12), NP9214–NP9248. https://doi.org/10.1177/0886260520980396
- Brown, C. M., Kanu, C., Richards, K. M., Stevens, L., Sasane, R., & McAneny, B. (2022). Exploring access to care from the perspective of patients with breast cancer: A qualitative study. Cancer medicine, 11(12), 2455–2466. https://doi.org/10.1002/cam4.4624
- Buchanan, J., Hill, M., Vass, C. M., Hammond, J., Riedijk, S., Klapwijk, J. E., Harding, E., Lou, S., Vogel, I., Hui, L., Ingvoldstad-Malmgren, C., Soller, M. J., Ormond, K. E., Choolani, M., Zheng, Q., Chitty, L. S., & Lewis, C. (2022). Factors that impact on women's decision-making around prenatal genomic tests: An international discrete choice survey. Prenatal diagnosis, 42(7), 934–946. https://doi.org/10.1002/pd.6159
- Greenberg R. G., McDonald S. A., Laughon M. M., Tanaka D., Jensen E., Van Meurs K., Eichenwald E., Brumbaugh J. E., Duncan A., Walsh M., Das A., Cotten C.M.; Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Neonatal Research Network. Online clinical tool to estimate risk of bronchopulmonary dysplasia in extremely preterm infants. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2022 Jun 21:fetalneonatal-2021-323573. doi: 10.1136/archdischild-2021-323573. Online ahead of print. PMID: 35728925
- Groves, A. K., Gebrekristos, L. T., Smith, P. D., Stoebenau, K., Stoner, M. C., Ameyan, W., & Ezeh, A. C. (2022). Adolescent Mothers in Eastern and Southern Africa: An Overlooked and Uniquely Vulnerable Subpopulation in the Fight Against HIV. J Adolesc Health, 70(6), 895–901. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2021.12.012
- Hessl D., Rosselot H., Miller R., Espinal G., Famula J., Sherman S. L., Todd P. K., Cabal Herrera A. M., Lipworth K., Cohen J., Hall D. A., Leehey M., Grigsby J., Weber J. D., Alusi S., Wheeler A., Raspa M., Hudson T., Sobrian S. K. The International Fragile X Premutation Registry: building a resource for research and clinical trial readiness. J Med Genet. 2022 Jun 14:jmedgenet-2022-108568. doi: 10.1136/jmedgenet-2022-108568. Online ahead of print. PMID: 35701103
- Krebs, N. F., Hambidge, K. M., Westcott, J. L., Garcés, A. L., Figueroa, L., Tshefu, A. K., Lokangaka, A. L., Goudar, S. S., Dhaded, S. M., Saleem, S., Ali, S. A., Bauserman, M. S., Derman, R. J., Goldenberg, R. L., Das, A., Chowdhury, D., & Women First Preconception Maternal Nutrition Study Group (2022). Birth length is the strongest predictor of linear growth status and stunting in the first 2 years of life after a preconception maternal nutrition intervention: the children of the Women First trial. Am J Clin Nutr, nqac051. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/nqac051
- Leuba, S. I., Westreich, D., Bose, C. L., Powers, K. A., Olshan, A., Taylor, S. M., Tshefu, A., Lokangaka, A., Carlo, W. A., Chomba, E., Liechty, E. A., Bucher, S. L., Esamai, F., Jessani, S., Saleem, S., Goldenberg, R. L., Moore, J., Nolen, T., Hemingway-Foday, J., McClure, E. M., … Bauserman, M. (2022). Predictors of Plasmodium falciparum Infection in the First Trimester Among Nulliparous Women From Kenya, Zambia, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. J Infect Dis, 225(11), 2002–2010. https://doi.org/10.1093/infdis/jiab588
- Lowe, J., Fuller, J. F., Dempsey, A. G., Do, B., Bann, C. M., Das, A., Gustafson, K. E., Vohr, B. R., Hintz, S. R., Watterberg, K. L., & SUPPORT NEURO School-Age Study Subcommittee of the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Neonatal Research Network (2022). Cortisol awakening response and developmental outcomes at 6-7 years in children born extremely preterm. Pediat Res, 10.1038/s41390-022-02113-9. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41390-022-02113-9
- Minnis, A. M., Etima, J., Musara, P., Browne, E. N., Mutero, P., Kemigisha, D., Mgodi, N. M., Nakabiito, C., Shapley-Quinn, M. K., Stoner, M., Hartmann, M., Macagna, N., Piper, J., & van der Straten, A. (2022). Couples' Preferences for "2 in 1" Multipurpose Prevention Technologies to Prevent Both HIV and Pregnancy: Results of a Discrete Choice Experiment in Uganda and Zimbabwe. AIDS Behav, 1–14. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10461-022-03713-6
- Naidoo, K., T, M. E., Katz, A. W., Morgan, G., Krishnaveni, R., Lydia, S. T., Sarita, N., & Leila, M. E. (2022). Efficacy and Action of the Dapivirine Vaginal Ring as Understood by Women Participating in an Open Label Extension Study. AIDS Behav, doi: 10.1007/s10461-022-03745-y. Advance online publication.
- Page J. M., Allshouse A., Gaffney J., Roberts V., Thorsten V. R., Gibbins K. J., Dudley D. J., Saade G., Goldenberg R. L., Stoll B., Hogue C. J. R., Bukowski R., Parker C., Conway D., Reddy U. M., Varner M., Frias A., Silver R. M. DLK1: A novel biomarker of placental insufficiency in stillbirth and live birth. Am J Perinatol. 2022 Jun 16. doi: 10.1055/a-1877-6191. Online ahead of print. PMID: 35709732
- Rahmaty, Z., Johantgen, M. E., Storr, C. L., Wang, Y., & Black, M. M. (2022). Preschoolers BMI: Associations with Patterns of Caregivers' Feeding Practices Using Structural Equation Models. Child Obes, doi: 10.1089/chi.2022.0026. Advance online publication.
- Raynes-Greenow C, Billah SM, Islam S, Rokonuzzaman SM, Tofail F, Kirkwood EK, Alam A, Chartier R, Ferdous TE, El Arifeen S, Dibley MJ, Homaira N, Hayes A, Thornburg J, Kelly P. Reducing household air pollution exposure to improve early child growth and development; a randomized control trial protocol for the "Poriborton-Extension: The CHANge trial". Trials. 2022 Jun 16;23(1):505. doi: 10.1186/s13063-022-06342-5. PMID: 35710445
- Reddy, K., Mathebula, F., Katz, A., Luecke, E., Tenza, S., Palanee-Phillips, T., Garcia, M., Mansoor, L. E., Naidoo, S., Morar, N., Chitukuta, M., Tsidya, M., Montgomery, E. T., & MTN-032 Study team (2022). Ring-ing in the Future: Participant and Male Partner Perspectives Regarding Future Use of the Dapivirine Vaginal Ring for HIV Prevention. AIDS Behav, 26(6), 1923–1932. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10461-021-03542-z
- Reed S. D., Zhou X., Ichikawa L., Gatz J. L., Peipert J. F., Armstrong M. A., Raine-Bennett T., Getahun D., Fassett M. J., Postlethwaite D. A., Shi J. M., Asiimwe A., Pisa F., Schoendorf J., Saltus C. W., Anthony M. S.; APEX-IUD study team. Intrauterine device-related uterine perforation incidence and risk (APEX-IUD): a large multisite cohort study. Lancet. 2022 Jun 4;399(10341):2103-2112. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(22)00015-0. PMID: 35658995
- Romano, C., Harris, N., Gnanasakthy, A., D'Alessio, D., & Chandiwana, D. (2022). Patient experiences with patient-reported outcome measures in metastatic breast cancer trials: qualitative interviews. J Patient Rep Outcomes, 6(1), 60. https://doi.org/10.1186/s41687-022-00460-z
- Saberi P., Stoner M. C. D., Ming K., Lisha N. E., Hojilla J. C., Scott H. M., Liu A. Y., Steward W. T., Johnson M. O., Neilands T. B. The effect of an HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) panel management strategy to increase PrEP prescriptions. AIDS. 2022 Jun 23. doi: 10.1097/QAD.0000000000003283. Online ahead of print. PMID: 35730363
- Smith, E. R., Oakley, E., He, S., Zavala, R., Ferguson, K., Miller, L., Grandner, G. W., Abejirinde, I. O., Afshar, Y., Ahmadzia, H., Aldrovandi, G., Akelo, V., Tippett Barr, B. A., Bevilacqua, E., Brandt, J. S., Broutet, N., Fernández Buhigas, I., Carrillo, J., Clifton, R., Conry, J., … Tielsch, J. M. (2022). Protocol for a sequential, prospective meta-analysis to describe coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the pregnancy and postpartum periods. PloS one, 17(6), e0270150. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0270150
- Sreeramareddy, C. T., Acharya, K., & Tiwari, I. (2022). Inequalities in demand satisfied with modern methods of family planning among women aged 15-49 years: a secondary data analysis of Demographic and Health Surveys of six South Asian countries. BMJ open, 12(6), e049630. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2021-049630
- Theilen, L. H., Greenland, P., Varagic, J., Catov, J., Shanks, A., Thorsten, V., Parker, C. B., McNeil, R., Mercer, B., Hoffman, M., Wapner, R., Haas, D., Simhan, H., Grobman, W., Chung, J. H., Levine, L. D., Barnes, S., Bairey Merz, N., Saade, G., & Silver, R. M. (2022). Association between aspirin use during pregnancy and cardiovascular risk factors 2-7 years after delivery: The nuMoM2b Heart Health Study. Pregnancy Hypertens, 28, 28–34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.preghy.2022.01.012
- Vernon-Feagans L., Carr R. C., Bratsch-Hines M., Willoughby M. Early maternal language input and classroom instructional quality in relation to children's literacy trajectories from pre-kindergarten through fifth grade. Dev Psychol. 2022 Jun;58(6):1066-1082. doi: 10.1037/dev0001080. Epub 2022 Mar 21. PMID: 35311312
We update our website regularly with all RTI Gender-related publications under resources. Please let us know if we missed any of yours.
June Publication Feature
SAGE Publications has released a collection of journal articles, videos, and other resources on a variety of topics under the umbrella topic of gender inequities and justice. Some of these sub-categories include reproductive rights, violence against women and gender minorities, gender and intersectionality, and gender parity and labor. Articles also feature a range of international perspectives. You can check out this awesome resource here!
RTI Gender-related June Project Wins
- Bryan Rhodes and team on their win, North Carolina Youth Tobacco Survey (YTS) 2021, from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC Chapel Hill)
- Olga Khavjou and team on their win, Updating and Expanding the CDC Online Diabetes State Economic Burden Toolkit, from CDC/NCCDPHP
- Sue Napierala and team on their win, Reaching the last 20%: a targeted HIV self-test secondary distribution intervention to engage high-risk men in Kenya, from NIH NIMH
- Kim Hayes and team on their win, Add On: NY Prediabetes Media Evaluation Year 5, from Health Research, Inc. (HRI)
June Project Win Feature
Congratulations to Dr. Sue Napierala and team on their win, Reaching the last 20%: a targeted HIV self-test secondary distribution intervention to engage high-risk men in Kenya! This study will examine the impact of self-test secondary distribution on HIV-related outcomes among high-risk men in Kenya.
This year was the first year back in-person for the InWomen's Conference! The 14th annual InWomen's Conference was hosted in Minneapolis, Minnesota, as well as online, and featured rich panel discussions, meaningful networking, poster presentations, and insightful, important, and impactful speakers throughout from 16 countries. Topics ranged from substance use among pregnant women and mothers to intersectional stigma and the burden justice-involved women face with regards to substance use. If you would like to learn more about the conference, you can read our newest blog post here!
This July is Minority Mental Health Month -- we will be hosting an event on this topic, stay tuned for details!
Gender Science News
Half of all women experience false positive mammograms after 10 years of annual screening
Pregnant women with polycystic ovary syndrome at risk of heart complications during delivery, study finds
Uterine transplantation is efficacious and safe, study suggests
Hormones are linked with sleep apnea, snoring in postmenopausal women
Words matter: How to reduce gender bias with word choice
Are you following us on Twitter
Don't miss out on snippets of our current gender-related research and important dates to remember!