Dear Friends and Colleagues,
This month marks the beginning of fall for us in the northern hemisphere and spring for our colleagues in the southern hemisphere. September was National Suicide Prevention Month, and we hosted an event on September 21 featuring two RTI GGC affiliates, which you can read more about below. September 15 through October 15 is also Hispanic Heritage Month, and we have been collecting and sharing some of RTI's work on this topic as well.
Looking forward, October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month. We are lucky to host Dr. Mary Ellsberg, a renowned researcher in the field, Founding Director of the Global Women's Institute at GWU, and an RTI GCC external affiliate, on October 12 to share her work addressing this topic globally. We know that violence against women is of growing concern, especially in light of the death of a young woman and the ongoing protests for women's rights in Iran. This topic of gender violence is critical to ensuring the safety, health, and wellbeing of women globally. You can learn how to register below for this awesome event with Dr. Ellsberg.
I want to wish you and your family health and safety as we continue to witness acts of violence and the ramifications of climate change around the world, and especially now with Hurricane Ian in the U.S. South.
RTI Gender-related September Publications
- Agot K, Hartmann M, Otticha S, Minnis A, Onyango J, Ochillo M, Roberts ST. "I didn't support PrEP because I didn't know what it was": Inadequate information undermines male partner support for young women's pre-exposure prophylaxis use in western Kenya. Afr J AIDS Res. 2022 Sep 14:1-10. doi: 10.2989/16085906.2022.2049831. Online ahead of print. PMID: 36102052
- Bien-Gund CH, Ochwal P, Marcus N, Bair EF, Napierala S, Maman S, Agot K, Thirumurthy H. Adoption of HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis among women at high risk of HIV infection in Kenya. PLoS One. 2022 Sep 9;17(9):e0273409. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0273409. eCollection 2022. PMID: 36084050
- Burke HM, Packer C, Fuchs R, Brache V, Bahamondes L, Salinas A, Veiga N, Miller A, Deese J. Acceptability of the contraceptive Sayana® Press when injected every four months: Results from a twelve-month trial in Brazil, Chile and the Dominican Republic. Contraception. 2022 Sep;113:95-100. doi: 10.1016/j.contraception.2022.04.007. Epub 2022 Apr 26. PMID: 35483431
- Chawla S, Wyckoff MH, Rysavy MA, Patel RM, Chowdhury D, Natarajan G, Laptook AR, Lakshminrusimha S, Bell EF, Shankaran S, Van Meurs KP, Ambalavanan N, Greenberg RG, Younge N, Werner EF, Das A, Carlo WA; Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Neonatal Research Network. Association of antenatal steroid exposure at 21 to 22 weeks of gestation with neonatal survival and survival without morbidities. JAMA Netw Open. 2022 Sep 1;5(9):e2233331. doi: 10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2022.33331. PMID: 36156145
- Cutts DB, Ettinger de Cuba S, Bovell-Ammon A, Wellington C, Coleman SM, Frank DA, Black MM, Ochoa E, Chilton M, Lê-Scherban F, Heeren T, Rateau LJ, Sandel M. Eviction and household health and hardships in families with very young children. Pediatrics. 2022 Sep 19:e2022056692. doi: 10.1542/peds.2022-056692. Online ahead of print. PMID: 36120757
- Garner BR, Burrus O, Ortiz A, Tueller SJ, Peinado S, Hedrick H, Harshbarger C, Galindo C, Courtenay-Quirk C, Lewis MA. A longitudinal mixed-methods examination of positive health check: Implementation results from a type 1 effectiveness-implementation hybrid trial. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2022 Sep 1;91(1):47-57. doi: 10.1097/QAI.0000000000003018. Epub 2022 May 18. PMID: 35583962
- Ghanchi NK, Ahmed I, Kim J, Harakuni S, Somannavar MS, Zafar A, Tikmani SS, Saleem S, Goudar SS, Dhaded SM, Guruprasad G, Yogeshkumar S, Hwang K, Aceituno A, Silver RM, McClure EM, Goldenberg RL. Pathogens identified by minimally invasive tissue sampling in India and Pakistan from preterm neonatal deaths: The PURPOSe Study. Clin Infect Dis. 2022 Sep 15:ciac747. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciac747. Online ahead of print. PMID: 36104850
- Gruhn M, Miller AB, Machlin L, Motton S, Thinzar CE, Sheridan MA. Child anxiety and depression symptom trajectories and predictors over 15 months of the coronavirus pandemic. Res Child Adolesc Psychopathol. 2022 Sep 1:1-14. doi: 10.1007/s10802-022-00963-9. Online ahead of print. PMID: 36048373
- Haas DM, Yang Z, Parker CB, Chung J, Parry S, Grobman WA, Mercer BM, Simhan HN, Silver RM, Wapner RJ, Saade GR, Greenland P, Merz NB, Reddy UM, Pemberton VL; nuMoM2b study and the nuMoM2b Heart Health Study. Factors associated with duration of breastfeeding in women giving birth for the first time. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2022 Sep 22;22(1):722. doi: 10.1186/s12884-022-05038-7. PMID: 36138368
- Jarlais DD, Bobashev G, Feelemyer J, McKnight C. Modeling HIV transmission among persons who inject drugs (PWID) at the "End of the HIV Epidemic" and during the COVID-19 pandemic. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2022 Sep 1;238:109573. doi: 10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2022.109573. Epub 2022 Jul 14. PMID: 35926301
- Jonas DE, Vander Schaaf EB, Riley S, Allison BA, Middleton JC, Baker C, Ali R, Voisin CE, LeBlanc ES. Screening for prediabetes and type 2 diabetes in children and adolescents: Evidence report and systematic review for the US Preventive Services Task Force. JAMA. 2022 Sep 13;328(10):968-979. doi: 10.1001/jama.2022.7957. PMID: 36098720
- Karriker-Jaffe KJ, Drabble LA, Li L, Munroe C, Mericle AA, Trocki KF, Hughes TL. Comparing substance use outcomes by sexual identity among women: Differences using propensity score methods. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2022 Sep 1;238:109567. doi: 10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2022.109567. Epub 2022 Jul 11. PMID: 35901534
- Lewis MA, Harshbarger C, Bann C, Marconi VC, Somboonwit C, Piazza MD, Swaminathan S, Burrus O, Galindo C, Borkowf CB, Marks G, Karns S, Zulkiewicz B, Ortiz A, Abdallah I, Garner BR, Courtenay-Quirk C; Positive Health Check Study Team. Effectiveness of an interactive, highly tailored "video doctor" intervention to suppress viral load and retain patients with HIV in clinical care: A randomized clinical trial. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2022 Sep 1;91(1):58-67. doi: 10.1097/QAI.0000000000003045. Epub 2022 Jun 27. PMID: 3597285
- Lund KH, Laursen ASD, Grønborg TK, Toft G, Jacobsen BH, Wang TR, Wesselink AK, Hatch EE, Sommer GJ, Eisenberg ML, Rothman KJ, Sørensen HT, Wise LA, Mikkelsen EM. Perceived stress and semen quality. Andrology. 2022 Sep 24. doi: 10.1111/andr.13301. Online ahead of print. PMID: 36151857
- Ma T, Chang K, Alyusuf A, Bajracharya E, Washio Y, Kelly PJ, Bellad RM, Mahantashetti NS, Charantimath U, Short VL, Lalakia P, Jaeger F, Goudar S, Derman R. Design, development, and testing of BEST4Baby, an mHealth technology to support exclusive breastfeeding in India: Pilot study. JMIR Form Res. 2022 Sep 8;6(9):e32795. doi: 10.2196/32795. PMID: 36074546
- Mansfield C, Botha W, Vondeling GT, Klein K, Wang K, Singh J, Hackshaw MD. Patient preferences for features of HER2-targeted treatment of advanced or metastatic breast cancer: a discrete-choice experiment study. Breast Cancer. 2022 Sep 8:1-13. doi: 10.1007/s12282-022-01394-6. Online ahead of print. PMID: 36074320
- Marusich JA, Gamage TF, Zhang Y, Akinfiresoye LR, Wiley JL. In vitro and in vivo pharmacology of nine novel synthetic cannabinoid receptor agonists. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2022 Sep 22:173467. doi: 10.1016/j.pbb.2022.173467. Online ahead of print. PMID: 36154844
- Neumann ML, Allen JY, Kakani S, Ladner A, Rauen MH, Weaver MS, Mercer DF. A beautiful struggle: Parent-perceived impact of short bowel syndrome on child and family wellbeing. J Pediatr Surg. 2022 Sep;57(9):149-157. doi: 10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2021.09.039. Epub 2021 Oct 1. PMID: 34702565
- Parry S, Carper BA, Grobman WA, Wapner RJ, Chung JH, Haas DM, Mercer B, Silver RM, Simhan HN, Saade GR, Reddy UM, Parker CB; Nulliparous Pregnancy Outcomes Study: Monitoring Mothers-to-Be Group. Placental protein levels in maternal serum are associated with adverse pregnancy outcomes in nulliparous patients. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2022 Sep;227(3):497.e1-497.e13. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2022.03.064. Epub 2022 Apr 26. PMID: 35487327
- Reddy K, Kemigisha D, Chitukuta M, Dadabhai S, Mathebula F, Tenza S, Palanee-Phillips T, Ryan J, Macagna N, Musara P, van der Straten A. ''Ask the way from those who have walked it before"-Grandmothers' roles in health-related decision making and HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis use among pregnant and breastfeeding women in sub-Saharan Africa. PLoS One. 2022 Sep 1;17(9):e0271684. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0271684. eCollection 2022. PMID: 36048767
- Roberts ST, van der Straten A, Rael CT, Gorbach PM, Palanee-Phillips T, Reddy K, Naidoo K, Dadabhai S, Chinula L, Gaffoor Z, Levy L, Balkus JE, Riddler SA. Intimate partner violence and engagement in the HIV care continuum among women in Sub-Saharan Africa: A prospective cohort study. AIDS Behav. 2022 Sep 13. doi: 10.1007/s10461-022-03835-x. Online ahead of print. PMID: 36098846
- Rosas LG, Lv N, Xiao L, Venditti EM, Lewis MA, Azar KMJ, Hooker SP, Zavella P, Ma J. HOMBRE: A trial comparing 2 weight loss approaches for Latino men. Am J Prev Med. 2022 Sep;63(3):341-353. doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2022.03.032. Epub 2022 May 30. PMID: 35654660 Clinical Trial.
- Saavedra LM, Morgan-López AA, West SG, Alegría M, Silverman WK. Mitigating multiple sources of bias in a quasi-experimental integrative data analysis: Does treating childhood anxiety prevent substance use disorders in late adolescence/young adulthood? Prev Sci. 2022 Sep 3. doi: 10.1007/s11121-022-01422-z. Online ahead of print. PMID: 36057023
- Stoner MCD, Browne EN, Raymond-Flesch M, McGlone L, Morgan-Lopez A, Minnis AM. Social environment risk factors for violence, family context, and trajectories of social-emotional functioning among Latinx adolescents. J Adolesc. 2022 Sep 16. doi: 10.1002/jad.12088. Online ahead of print. PMID: 36111552
- Talbird SE, Carrico J, La EM, Carias C, Marshall GS, Roberts CS, Chen YT, Nyaku MK. Impact of routine childhood immunization in reducing vaccine-preventable diseases in the United States. Pediatrics. 2022 Sep 1;150(3):e2021056013. doi: 10.1542/peds.2021-056013. PMID: 35821599
- Tam CC, Gilder DA, Li L, Karriker-Jaffe KJ, Duhart Clarke SE, Ehlers CL. Age of onset and alcohol and cannabis use disorders among Mexican American young adults: Robust substance-specific effects of early use as a risk factor. J Ethn Subst Abuse. 2022 Sep 10:1-21. doi: 10.1080/15332640.2022.2111388. Online ahead of print. PMID: 36093789
- Willis SK, Wise LA, Laursen ASD, Wesselink AK, Mikkelsen EM, Tucker KL, Rothman KJ, Hatch EE. Glycemic load, dietary fiber, added sugar and spontaneous abortion in two preconception cohorts. J Nutr. 2022 Sep 4:nxac202. doi: 10.1093/jn/nxac202. Online ahead of print. PMID: 36057842
- Wright SJ, Dalal G, Vass CM, Georgsson S, Payne K. How do women want to receive information about NIPT- evidence from a discrete choice experiment. Prenat Diagn. 2022 Sep 22. doi: 10.1002/pd.6243. Online ahead of print. PMID: 36146928
We update our website regularly with all RTI Gender-related publications under resources. Please let us know if we missed any of yours.
September Publication Feature
This publication looked into contextual and social risk factors like family cohesion, neighborhood disorder, and maternal communication, and their impact on violence and the trajectories of Latinx eighth graders. Researchers found that, in particular, family cohesion and maternal communication were associated with stronger emotional regulation, underscoring the importance of parental relationships, particularly maternal relationships, on Latinx adolescents' social and emotional growth.
Stoner MCD, Browne EN, Raymond-Flesch M, McGlone L, Morgan-Lopez A, Minnis AM. Social environment risk factors for violence, family context, and trajectories of social-emotional functioning among Latinx adolescents. J Adolesc. 2022 Sep 16. doi: 10.1002/jad.12088.
RTI Gender-related September Project Wins
- Chamindu Liyanapatirana and team on their win, Evaluating maternal exposure to an environmental PFAS mixture during pregnancy, from Duke University
- Sa'Nealdra Wiggins and team on their win, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (NCCDPHP) Social Determinants of Health, from CDC/NCCDPHP
- Christina Fowler and team on their win, Title X Family Planning Research: Innovative Service Delivery Models (PA-FPR-22), from the DHHS Office of Population Affairs (OPA)
- Katie Fain and team on their win, NuMoM2b HHS2 - Add-on: Scholars' Awards, from NIH NHLBI
- Sujha Subramanian and team on their win, Integrated delivery of cancer control interventions for adolescents and young adults living with HIV in Zambia, from NIH NCI
- Sujha Subramanian and team on their win, Economic Evaluation of the National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program, from CDC/NCCDPHP
- Jennifer Uhrig and team on their win, Message Testing to End the HIV Epidemic, from CDC/NCHHSTP
- Patricia Melton and team on their win, FY21 Forensic Initiatives Training and Technical Assistance, from Dept of Justice BJA
- Yukiko Washio and team on their win, Developing and testing a behavioral intervention to prevent FASD and adverse infant outcomes, from NIH NIAAA
- Amanda Honeycutt and team on their win, Add-on: HIV Modeling for PrEP, EHE, and Health Disparities, from CDC/NCHHSTP
- Carol Schmitt and team on their win, ADD-ON: Support Services for DOD HIV/AIDS Prevention Program (DHAPP), from DOD HIV/AIDS Prevention Program (DHAPP)
September Project Feature
The HOMBRE trial is a recent RTI International project which examined strategies to reduce the risk of chronic disease, with a specific focus on weight loss tactics, among Latino men in the United States who had one or more cardiometabolic risk factors. The HOMBRE intervention included coach-facilitated group sessions using online video conferencing, coach-facilitated group sessions in person, and prerecorded videos of group sessions available online.
Read more about the outcomes of this project here.
September Event Recap
In honor of National Suicide Prevention Month, we welcomed affiliates and researchers, Dr. Lissette Saavedra and Dr. Shannon Blakey, to share about their work addressing suicide, suicidality, and mental health among women. Dr. Saavedra spoke about some of the findings from her recent publication which examined the best methods for measurement of suicide risk among women in substance use treatment. Dr. Blakey also shared about a recent publication that examined military sexual assault and its impact on men and women in the military during the Gulf War.
If you are interested in a recording of this event, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Event dates and formal invitations coming soon!
OCTOBER 12 | 12:00 -- 1:00 PM ET | ZOOM
Special Invited Guest Speaker & External Affiliate
Dr. Mary Ellsberg is the Founding Director of the Global Women's Institute at GWU and renowned domestic violence and women's health expert.
Register for this event here
Join us as our male affiliates share their research focused on the mental and physical health of men and boys.
Gender Science News
Anxiety during pregnancy can lead to earlier births, study finds
Unhealthy gut sets stage for breast cancer to spread, research reveals
Women facing food insecurity could be at high risk for addiction to highly processed food
COVID-19 zaps placenta's immune response, study finds
Pregnant women with obesity and diabetes may be more likely to have a child with ADHD
Are you following us on Twitter
Don't miss out on snippets of our current gender-related research and important dates to remember!