Dear Friends and Colleagues,
With the prevalence of new COVID-19 variants and continued political unrest in many countries, my thoughts are with you and your families. Please stay safe and healthy. This past month we hosted a fascinating event on adolescent mental health in a digital age as it relates to the pandemic, which you can read more about below. A recording of the event is available upon request. It was also a true honor to record a episode on Nan Mckay’s TrailBlazers Impact Interviews podcast: https://trailblazersimpact.com/, which will air next week. I encourage you to check out all of her wonderful interviews of trailblazing women!
I want to know what you all have been up to this past month, as well! Please share any updates with me about your gender-related projects, programs, or other work or the opportunity to write a guest blog post on www.rti.org/gender.
RTI Gender-Related July Publications
- Bhushan, N. L., Stoner, M. C. D., Twine, R., Kahn, K., Lippman, S. A., & Pettifor, A. E. (2021). Community space, community groups, and incident HIV infection among adolescent girls and young women in rural South Africa: A longitudinal analysis of HIV prevention trials network 068 data. JAIDS Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, 87(3), e207–e213. https://doi.org/10.1097/QAI.0000000000002676
- Bond, J. C., Wise, L. A., Willis, S. K., Yland, J. J., Hatch, E. E., Rothman, K. J., & Heaton, B. (2021). Self-reported periodontitis and fecundability in a population of pregnancy planners. Human Reproduction, 36(8), 2298–2308. https://doi.org/10.1093/humrep/deab058
- Bravo, M. A., & Miranda, M. L. (2021). Effects of accumulated environmental, social and host exposures on early childhood educational outcomes. Environmental Research, 198, 111241. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2021.111241
- Caswell, B. L., Arnold, C. D., Lutter, C. K., Iannotti, L. L., Chipatala, R., Werner, E. R., Maleta, K. M., & Stewart, C. P. (2021). Impacts of an egg intervention on nutrient adequacy among young Malawian children. Maternal & Child Nutrition, 17(3), e13196. https://doi.org/10.1111/mcn.13196
- Crankshaw, E., Gaber, J., Guillory, J., Curry, L., Farrelly, M., Saunders, M., Delahanty, J., Mekos, D., Alexander, T., Hoffman, L., & Ganz, O. (2021). Final evaluation findings for This Free Life, a 3-year, multi-market tobacco public education campaign for gender and sexual minority young adults in the United States. Nicotine & Tobacco Research. https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntab146
- Deese, J., Wang, M., Lapple, D., Nelson, J. A. E., Kuerten, B., Steiner, M. J., Chen, P. L., & Hobbs, M. M. (2021). What’s sex got to do with it? Understanding potential confounding and exposure misclassification in mechanistic sexually transmitted infection research. The Journal of Infectious Diseases, 224(1), 137–140. https://doi.org/10.1093/infdis/jiaa705
- Grove, M., Brown, L. L., Knudsen, H. K., Martin, E. G., & Garner, B. R. (2021). Employing telehealth within HIV care: advantages, challenges, and recommendations. AIDS, 35(8), 1328–1330. https://doi.org/10.1097/QAD.0000000000002892
- Harvie, H. S., Sung, V. W., Neuwahl, S. J., Honeycutt, A. A., Meyer, I., Chermansky, C. J., Menefee, S., Hendrickson, W. K., Dunivan, G. C., Mazloomdoost, D., Bass, S. J., Gantz, M. G., & NICHD Pelvic Floor Disorders Network. (2021). Cost effectiveness of behavioral and pelvic floor muscle therapy combined with midurethral sling surgery vs surgery alone among women with mixed urinary incontinence: results of the ESTEEM randomized trial. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2021.06.099
- Hoffman, V., Hallas, J., Linder, M., Margulis, A. V., Suehs, B. T., Arana, A., Phiri, K., Enger, C., Horter, L., Odsbu, I., Olesen, M., Perez-Gutthann, S., Xu, Y., Kristiansen, N. S., Appenteng, K., de Vogel, S., Seeger, J. D., & mirabegron PMR-PASS study group. (2021). Cardiovascular risk in users of Mirabegron compared with users of Antimuscarinic treatments for overactive bladder: findings from a non-interventional, multinational, cohort study. Drug Safety. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40264-021-01095-7
- Hudson, K. N., Ballou, H. M., & Willoughby, M. T. (2021). Short report: Improving motor competence skills in early childhood has corollary benefits for executive function and numeracy skills. Developmental Science, 24(4), e13071. https://doi.org/10.1111/desc.13071
- Kampov-Polevoy, A., Bobashev, G., & Garbutt, J. C. (2021). Exploration of the impact of combining risk phenotypes on the likelihood of alcohol problems in young adults. Alcohol and Alcoholism. https://doi.org/10.1093/alcalc/agab049
- Lutter, C. K., Grummer-Strawn, L., & Rogers, L. (2021). Complementary feeding of infants and young children 6 to 23 months of age. Nutrition Reviews, 79(8), 825–846. https://doi.org/10.1093/nutrit/nuaa143
- Montgomery, E. T., Browne, E. N., Atujuna, M., Boeri, M., Mansfield, C., Sindelo, S., Hartmann, M., Ndwayana, S., Bekker, L.-G., & Minnis, A. M. (2021). Long-acting injection and implant preferences and trade-offs for HIV prevention among South African male youth. JAIDS Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, 87(3), 928–936. https://doi.org/10.1097/QAI.0000000000002670
- Mrabti, H., Sauvaget, C., Benider, A., Bendahhou, K., Selmouni, F., Muwonge, R., Alaoui, L., Lucas, E., Chami, Y., Villain, P., Abousselham, L., Carvalho, A. L., Bennani, M., Errihani, H., Sankaranarayanan, R., Bekkali, R., & Basu, P. (2021). Patterns of care of breast cancer patients in Morocco - A study of variations in patient profile, tumour characteristics and standard of care over a decade. Breast (Edinburgh, Scotland), 59, 193–202. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.breast.2021.07.00
- Niehoff, N. M., O’Brien, K. M., Keil, A. P., Levine, K. E., Liyanapatirana, C., Haines, L. G., Waidyanatha, S., Weinberg, C. R., & White, A. J. (2021). Metals and breast cancer risk: A prospective study using toenail biomarkers. American Journal of Epidemiology. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwab204
- O’Rourke, S., Hartmann, M., Myers, L., Lawrence, N., Gill, K., Morton, J. F., Celum, C. L., Bekker, L.-G., & van der Straten, A. (2021). The PrEP journey: understanding how internal drivers and external circumstances impact the PrEP trajectory of adolescent girls and young women in Cape Town, South Africa. AIDS and Behavior, 25(7), 2154–2165. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10461-020-03145-0
- Peven, K., Taylor, C., Purssell, E., Mallick, L., Burgert-Brucker, C. R., Day, L. T., Wong, K. L. M., Kambala, C., & Bick, D. (2021). Distance to available services for newborns at facilities in Malawi: A secondary analysis of survey and health facility data. Plos One, 16(7), e0254083. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0254083
- Richter, H. E., Carnes, M. U., Komesu, Y. M., Lukacz, E. S., Arya, L., Bradley, M., Rogers, R. G., Sung, V. W., Siddiqui, N. Y., Carper, B., Mazloomdoost, D., Dinwiddie, D., Gantz, M. G., & NICHD Pelvic Floor Disorders Network (2021). Association Between the Urogenital Microbiome and Surgical Treatment Response in Women Undergoing Mid-urethral Sling Surgery for Mixed Urinary Incontinence. American journal of obstetrics and gynecology, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2021.07.008
- Sibanda, E. L., Neuman, M., Tumushime, M., Mangenah, C., Hatzold, K., Watadzaushe, C., Mutseta, M. N., Dirawo, J., Napierala, S., Ncube, G., Terris-Prestholt, F., Taegtmeyer, M., Johnson, C., Fielding, K. L., Weiss, H. A., Corbett, E., & Cowan, F. M. (2021). Community-based HIV self-testing: a cluster-randomised trial of supply-side financial incentives and time-trend analysis of linkage to antiretroviral therapy in Zimbabwe. BMJ Global Health, 6(Suppl 4). https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjgh-2020-003866
- Smith, M. R., Shore, N., Tammela, T. L., Ulys, A., Vjaters, E., Polyakov, S., Jievaltas, M., Luz, M., Alekseev, B., Kuss, I., Le Berre, M.-A., Mohamed, A. F., Odom, D., Bartsch, J., Snapir, A., Sarapohja, T., & Fizazi, K. (2021). Darolutamide and health-related quality of life in patients with non-metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer: An analysis of the phase III ARAMIS trial. European Journal of Cancer, 154, 138–146. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2021.06.010
- Spencer, R. A., Livingston, M. D., Komro, K. A., Sroczynski, N., Rentmeester, S. T., & Woods-Jaeger, B. (2021). Association between Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) and child maltreatment among a cohort of fragile families. Child Abuse & Neglect, 120, 105186. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2021.105186
- Stoner, M. C. D., Rucinski, K. B., Giovenco, D., Gill, K., Morton, J. F., Bekker, L.-G., Celum, C. L., & van der Straten, A. (2021). Trajectories of PrEP adherence among young women aged 16 to 25 in Cape Town, South Africa. AIDS and Behavior, 25(7), 2046–2053. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10461-020-03134-3
- Sung, V. W., Richter, H. E., Moalli, P., Weidner, A. C., Nguyen, J. N., Smith, A. L., Dunivan, G., Ridgeway, B., Borello-France, D., Newman, D. K., Mazloomdoost, D., Carper, B., Gantz, M. G., & NICHD Pelvic Floor Disorders Network. (2021). Characteristics associated with treatment failure 1 year after midurethral sling in women with mixed urinary incontinence. Obstetrics and Gynecology. https://doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0000000000004444
- Turbitt, E., Newson, A. J., Biesecker, B. B., & Wilfond, B. S. (2021). Enrolling children in clinical trials for genetic neurodevelopmental conditions: ethics, parental decisions, and children’s identities. Ethics & Human Research, 43(4), 27–36. https://doi.org/10.1002/eahr.500097
- Vohr, B. R., McGowan, E. C., Bann, C., Das, A., Higgins, R., Hintz, S., Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Neonatal Research Network, Ambalavanan, N., Carlo, W. A., Collins, M. V., Cosby, S. S., Domnanovich, K. A., Kiser, C. R., Peralta-Carcelen, M., Phillips, V. A., Smith, L. A., Whitley, S., Alksninis, B., Hensman, A. M., … Bulas, D. (2021). Association of high screen-time use with school-age cognitive, executive function, and behavior outcomes in extremely preterm children. JAMA Pediatrics. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2021.2041
- Washio, Y., Browne, F. A., Ndirangu, J., Kline, T. L., & Wechsberg, W. M. (2021). Antiretroviral Therapy (ART) Adherence and Prenatal Alcohol Use among Women Who Are Pregnant with HIV in South Africa. International journal of environmental research and public health, 18(14), 7446. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph18147446
- Wiegand, R. E., Secor, W. E., Fleming, F. M., French, M. D., King, C. H., Montgomery, S. P., Evans, D., Utzinger, J., Vounatsou, P., & de Vlas, S. J. (2021). Control and Elimination of Schistosomiasis as a Public Health Problem: Thresholds Fail to Differentiate Schistosomiasis Morbidity Prevalence in Children. Open forum infectious diseases, 8(7), ofab179. https://doi.org/10.1093/ofid/ofab179
We update our website regularly with all RTI Gender-related publications under resources. Please let us know if we missed any of yours.
RTI Gender-Related Project Wins
- Lopamudra Ray Saraswati and team on their win, Political Landscaping in India in the Context of Global Health, from the Wellcome Trust - UK
- Bryan Rhodes and team on their win, Youth Tobacco Survey (YTS) - South Dakota 2021, from South Dakota State University
- Timothy Slade and team on their win, Bangladesh Esho Shikhi "Come and Learn," from Winrock International
- Marni Kan and team on their win, Add-on: RPE Supplemental Research to Enhance Engagement of Communities Disproportionately Affected by Sexual Violence, from CDC/NCIPC
- Bryan Rhodes and team on their win, GYTS - Electronic Data Collection Pilot, from Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)
- Christopher Krebs and team on their win, Climate Survey Adaption for High Schools, from Learning Courage
Recapping July Events
ADOLESCENT MENTAL HEALTH IN A DIGITAL AGE
July 28, 2021
On July 28, 2021, we welcomed Drs. Madeleine George and Ashley Hedrick to speak about each of their research into adolescent digital mental health. Dr. George of RTI International shared about her work evaluating the role of technology in mediating parent-adolescent relationships. Dr. Hedrick of UNC shared about her work examining One Direction FanFiction communities and the roles they can play in adolescent conception of safe sex and relationships. The panel was moderated by Dr. Felicia Browne of RTI International, and was attended by 44 guests.
For a recording of the event please email email@example.com.
Stay tuned for an event honoring Women's Equality Day!
Gender Science News
No sign of COVID-19 vaccine in breast milk
Researcher's work with flies could be birth control boon
Antibiotic prescriptions for kids plummet during pandemic
More than 1.5 million children lost a primary or secondary caregiver due to the COVID-19 pandemic
Cognitive decline may help predict future fracture risk in women
Are you following us on Twitter
Don't miss out on snippets of our current gender-related research and important dates to remember!
Interested in or know of someone who is interested in
becoming an external affiliate of the RTI Global Gender Center?
Click Here for More Information