Dear Friends and Colleagues,
This month we reflected on Women’s Equality Day, though with so much pain and injustice in the world, we gave pause to consider renaming this day to Women’s Inequality Day (Read my latest LinkedIn post here). Our hearts and minds are with the Afghan people, and especially the women, children, and girls who are in immediate danger of gender and human injustices and violence, unlike anything they may have experienced in their lifetime.
Further, with natural disasters like the earthquake in Haiti and Hurricane Ida in Louisiana, we continue to strive to lend a helping hand in any way that we can, be that a donation, activism, through our own project work, or simply reaching out. We have learned so much from our work that people are affected by disasters, and that the emotional after-effects last for a long time. I do hope you and all of your loved ones are safe.
In our work supporting those most in need, we must also be mindful to consider how we can help through an intersectional and sensitive approach. This month we honored World Breast – or rather CHEST- feeding Month, as we showcased two RTI projects at our latest Center meeting. We give a gracious thank you to our affiliate speakers (Drs. Chessa Lutter and Marie Stoner, and Imogen Hawley)! We are continuing to work on reflecting and evaluating our language for inclusivity in our own work and across our teams.
As you will read more about below, the RTI Global Gender Center also featured two international projects addressing gender inequalities in specific niches, including neglected tropical diseases in Uganda (Mike Mukirane) and equality among fisheries in Southeast Asia (Dr. Arlene Satapornvanit).
RTI Gender-related August Publications
- Abubakari, G. M., Dada, D., Nur, J., Turner, D., Otchere, A., Tanis, L., Ni, Z., Mashoud, I. W., Nyhan, K., Nyblade, L., & Nelson, L. E. (2021). Intersectional stigma and its impact on HIV prevention and care among MSM and WSW in sub-Saharan African countries: a protocol for a scoping review. BMJ Open, 11(8), e047280. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2020-047280
- Adams-Chapman, I., Watterberg, K. L., Nolen, T. L., Hirsch, S., Cole, C. A., Cotten, C. M., Oh, W., Poindexter, B. B., Zaterka-Baxter, K. M., Das, A., Lacy, C. B., Scorsone, A. M., Duncan, A. F., DeMauro, S. B., Goldstein, R. F., Colaizy, T. T., Wilson-Costello, D. E., Purdy, I. B., Hintz, S. R., … Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Neonatal Research Network. (2021). Neurodevelopmental outcome of preterm infants enrolled in myo-inositol randomized controlled trial. Journal of Perinatology, 41(8), 2072–2087. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41372-021-01018-5
- Anglewicz, P., Cardona, C., Akinlose, T., Gichangi, P., OlaOlorun, F., Omoluabi, E., Thiongo, M., Akilimali, P., Tsui, A., Kayembe, P., & PMA Agile Principal Investigators Group. (2021). Service delivery point and individual characteristics associated with the adoption of modern contraceptive: A multi-country longitudinal analysis. Plos One, 16(8), e0254775. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0254775
- Aziz Ali, S., Khan, U., Abrejo, F., Vollmer, B., Saleem, S., Hambidge, K. M., Krebs, N. F., Westcott, J. E., Goldenberg, R. L., McClure, E. M., & Pasha, O. (2021). Use of smokeless tobacco before conception and its relationship with maternal and fetal outcomes of pregnancy in Thatta, Pakistan: findings from women first study. Nicotine & Tobacco Research, 23(8), 1291–1299. https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntaa215
- Bauserman, M. S., Bann, C. M., Hambidge, K. M., Garces, A. L., Figueroa, L., Westcott, J. L., Patterson, J. K., McClure, E. M., Thorsten, V. R., Aziz, S. A., Saleem, S., Goldenberg, R. L., Derman, R. J., Herekar, V., Somannavar, M., Koso-Thomas, M. W., Lokangaka, A. L., Tshefu, A. K., Krebs, N. F., … Women First Preconception Trial Study Group. (2021). Gestational weight gain in 4 low- and middle-income countries and associations with birth outcomes: a secondary analysis of the Women First Trial. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 114(2), 804–812. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/nqab086
- Brown LL, Martin EG, Knudsen HK, Gotham HJ, & Garner BR. (2021). Resilience-Focused HIV Care to Promote Psychological Well-Being During COVID-19 and Other Catastrophes. Frontiers in Public Health, 9, 705573.
- Ezran, M., Trude, A. C. B., Hepworth, A. D., & Black, M. M. (2021). Parent Website Engagement and Health Equity Implications in a Child Care-Based Wellness Intervention. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 53(8), 654–662. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneb.2021.03.003
- Feld, A. L., Rogers, T., Gaber, J., Pikowski, J., Farrelly, M. C., Henriksen, L., Johnson, T. O., Halpern-Felsher, B., Andersen-Rodgers, E., & Zhang, X. (2021). Impact of Local Flavored Tobacco Sales Restrictions on Policy-Related Attitudes and Tobacco Product Access. Health Education & Behavior : The Official Publication of the Society for Public Health Education, 10901981211027520. https://doi.org/10.1177/10901981211027520
- Francis, L., Perrin, N., Black, M. M., & Allen, J. K. (2021). Mealtime environment and feeding practices in urban family child care homes in the united states. Childhood Obesity (Print). https://doi.org/10.1089/chi.2021.0042
- Hoffman, V., Hallas, J., Linder, M., Margulis, A. V., Suehs, B. T., Arana, A., Phiri, K., Enger, C., Horter, L., Odsbu, I., Olesen, M., Perez-Gutthann, S., Xu, Y., Kristiansen, N. S., Appenteng, K., de Vogel, S., Seeger, J. D., & mirabegron PMR-PASS study group. (2021). Cardiovascular Risk in Users of Mirabegron Compared with Users of Antimuscarinic Treatments for Overactive Bladder: Findings from a Non-Interventional, Multinational, Cohort Study. Drug Safety, 44(8), 899–915. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40264-021-01095-
- MacDuffie, K. E., Estes, A. M., Peay, H. L., Pruett, J. R., & Wilfond, B. S. (2021). The ethics of predicting autism spectrum disorder in infancy. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 60(8), 942–945. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaac.2021.01.006
- Mayo, A. J., Browne, E. N., Montgomery, E. T., Torjesen, K., Palanee-Phillips, T., Jeenarain, N., Seyama, L., Woeber, K., Harkoo, I., Reddy, K., Tembo, T., Mutero, P., Tauya, T., Chitukuta, M., Gati Mirembe, B., Soto-Torres, L., Brown, E. R., Baeten, J. M., van der Straten, A., & MTN-020/ASPIRE study team. (2021). Acceptability of the Dapivirine Vaginal Ring for HIV-1 Prevention and Association with Adherence in a Phase III Trial. AIDS and Behavior, 25(8), 2430–2440. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10461-021-03205-z
- Jessani, S., Saleem, S., Hoffman, M. K., Goudar, S. S., Derman, R. J., Moore, J. L., Garces, A., Figueroa, L., Krebs, N. F., Okitawutshu, J., Tshefu, A., Bose, C. L., Mwenechanya, M., Chomba, E., Carlo, W. A., Das, P. K., Patel, A., Hibberd, P. L., Esamai, F., … Goldenberg, R. L. (2021). Association of haemoglobin levels in the first trimester and at 26-30 weeks with fetal and neonatal outcomes: a secondary analysis of the Global Network for Women’s and Children’s Health’s ASPIRIN Trial. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 128(9), 1487–1496. https://doi.org/10.1111/1471-0528.16676
- Nager, C. W., Visco, A. G., Richter, H. E., Rardin, C. R., Komesu, Y., Harvie, H. S., Zyczynski, H. M., Paraiso, M. F. R., Mazloomdoost, D., Sridhar, A., Thomas, S., & National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Pelvic Floor Disorders Network. (2021). Effect of sacrospinous hysteropexy with graft vs vaginal hysterectomy with uterosacral ligament suspension on treatment failure in women with uterovaginal prolapse: 5-year results of a randomized clinical trial. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 225(2), 153.e1-153.e31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2021.03.012
- Rechis, R., Oestman, K. B., Caballero, E., Brewster, A., Walsh, M. T., Basen-Engquist, K., Gershenwald, J. E., Tektiridis, J. H., Moreno, M., Williams, P. A., Treiman, K., Garza, P. D., & Hawk, E. (2021). Be Well CommunitiesTM: mobilizing communities to promote wellness and stop cancer before it starts. Cancer Causes & Control, 32(8), 859–870. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-021-01439-9
- Simpson, E. L., de Bruin-Weller, M., Bansal, A., Chen, Z., Nelson, L., Whalley, D., Prescilla, R., Guillemin, I., & Delevry, D. (2021). Definition of Clinically Meaningful Within-Patient Changes in POEM and CDLQI in Children 6 to 11 Years of Age with Severe Atopic Dermatitis. Dermatology and Therapy, 11(4), 1415–1422. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13555-021-00543-7
- Stanhope, K. K., Temple, J. R., Bann, C., Parker, C. B., Dudley, D., & Hogue, C. J. R. (2021). Variation in self-identified most stressful life event by outcome of previous pregnancy in a population-based sample interviewed 6-36 months following delivery. Social Science & Medicine, 282, 114138. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2021.114138
- Sulser, T. B., Beach, R. H., Wiebe, K. D., Dunston, S., & Fukagawa, N. K. (2021). Disability-adjusted life years due to chronic and hidden hunger under food system evolution with climate change and adaptation to 2050. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 114(2), 550–563. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/nqab101
- Sung, V. W., Richter, H. E., Moalli, P., Weidner, A. C., Nguyen, J. N., Smith, A. L., Dunivan, G., Ridgeway, B., Borello-France, D., Newman, D. K., Mazloomdoost, D., Carper, B., Gantz, M. G., & NICHD Pelvic Floor Disorders Network. (2021). Characteristics associated with treatment failure 1 year after midurethral sling in women with mixed urinary incontinence. Obstetrics and Gynecology, 138(2), 199–207. https://doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0000000000004444
- Wechsberg, W. M., Browne, F. A., Bonner, C. P., Washio, Y., Howard, B. N., & van der Drift, I. (2021). Current Interventions for People Living with HIV Who Use Alcohol: Why Gender Matters. Current HIV/AIDS Reports, 18(4), 351–364. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11904-021-00558-
- Yarnoff, B., Wagner, L. D., Honeycutt, A. A., & Vogt, T. M. (2021). Analysis of School-Day Disruption of Administering School-Located Vaccination to Children in Three Local Areas, 2012-2013 School Year. The Journal of School Nursing : The Official Publication of the National Association of School Nurses, 10598405211038598. https://doi.org/10.1177/10598405211038598
We update our website regularly with all RTI Gender-related publications under resources. Please let us know if we missed any of yours.
RTI Gender-related August Project Wins
- Sarah Roberts and team on their win, Tu'Washindi: A relationship-focused intervention to reduce GBV and increase PrEP uptake and adherence among Kenyan AGYW from NIMH
- Marie Gantz and team on their win, Add-on: Bridge Funding for Pelvic Floor Disorder Network (PFDN) from NICHD
- Stacy Costello and team on their win, SERVE Equity Planning Webinar Series 2021 from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNC Greensboro)
- James I. (Jay) Rineer and team on their win, Quantifying Health Care Access w/ SynthPop for UCSD from the University of California San Diego
- David Dausch and team for their win, Multi-Purpose Technology Biodegradable Implant from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Dallas Wood and team for their win, Patient Preference Information Study for Contraceptives from the FDA Center for Drug Evaluation & Research (CDER)
- Jennifer Lorvick and team on their win, Evaluation of Operation Safer Ground: A Community-Level Rapid Housing Intervention for People Vulnerable to COVID-19 from NIH NIMHD
Recapping August Events
WOMEN'S EQUALITY DAY
August 26, 2021
In honor of Women's Equality Day, we welcomed Mike Mukirane and Dr. Arlene Satapornvanit to present their work addressing gender inequalities within USAID projects. Mr. Mukirane presented about the Act to End NTD's I East program, including an overview of GESI activities and further project action items to address gender inequities within treatment and education about neglected tropical diseases. Dr. Satapornvanit presented about the Sustainable Fisheries Asia (SUFIA) project and how her program aims to conduct capacity development activities to increase gender equality and social inclusion strategy integration in the fishing industry in Southeast Asia. We welcomed almost 40 attendees to this wonderful event!
For a recording of the event please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stay tuned for an event celebrating Sexual Health Month!
Gender Science News
Youth, the pandemic and a global mental health crisis
New discovery pinpoints the ‘golden window’ for IVF success
Cardiovascular disorder genetic testing in children presents unique challenges
A parent’s genes can influence a child’s educational success, inherited or not
COVID-19 pandemic linked to an increase in intimate partner aggression, study shows
Are you following us on Twitter
Don't miss out on snippets of our current gender-related research and important dates to remember!