Dear Friends and Colleagues,
Summer is in full swing here in the United States, and with record breaking heatwaves in the US and in other parts of the world, it is hard to ignore the reality of climate change in the present moment. As we all face a new subvariant of COVID-19, along with other emerging viruses globally, I stay concerned for the health and wellbeing of people everywhere. Consider masking to stay safe.
This month we were able to do some important reflections on our work over the last ten months, and it is amazing to see the breadth of accomplishments from our affiliates -- we truly are a GLOBAL gender center with impact to improve the human condition and turn knowledge into practice! It is also great to see the wide reach of our Twitter account and website. You can read more about our publications, projects, and other dissemination efforts and reach below.
I hope that you, your family and friends who are family stay well during this time with an ever-shifting global landscape.
July was National Minority Mental Health month. While mental health conditions are pervasive across identities, being part of an underrepresented group may impact access to treatment, stigma, and quality of care. Learn more about the unique challenges faced by minorities in regards to mental health in the infographic above. Below is a selection of recent RTI publications that discuss minority mental health:
- Risk, protective, and associated factors of anxiety and depressive symptoms and campus health services utilization among black men on a college campus
- Mechanisms of mental-health disparities among minoritized groups
- Perceived racism and demographic, mental health, and behavioral characteristics among high school students during the COVID-19 pandemic - adolescent behaviors and experiences survey, United States, January-June 2021
- Correlates of suicide risk among Black and White adults with behavioral health disorders in criminal-legal systems
- Avoidant coping as a moderator of the association between childhood abuse types and HIV/sexual risk behaviors
RTI Gender-related July Publications
- Allotey D, Flax VL, Ipadeola AF, Kwasu S, Adair LS, Valle CG, Bose S, Martin SL. Fathers' complementary feeding support strengthens the association between mothers' decision-making autonomy and optimal complementary feeding in Nigeria. Curr Dev Nutr. 2022 Jun 2;6(7):nzac098. doi: 10.1093/cdn/nzac098. eCollection 2022 Jul. PMID: 35854939
- Bhushan NL, Stoner MCD, Groves AK, Kahn K, Pettifor AE. Partnership dynamics and HIV-related sexual behaviors among adolescent mothers in South Africa: a longitudinal analysis of HIV Prevention Trials Network 068 data. J Adolesc Health. 2022 Jul;71(1):63-69. doi: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2022.02.003. Epub 2022 Mar 31. PMID: 35370076
- Browne FA, Bonner CP, Kline TL, Cox EN, Gichane MW, Wechsberg WM. Alcohol, drug use, and sexual risk among young African American women in North Carolina: is educational attainment protective? Vulnerable Child Youth Stud. 2022 Jul. DOI: 10.1080/17450128.2022.2089794
- Carrico J, La EM, Talbird SE, Chen YT, Nyaku MK, Carias C, Mellott CE, Marshall GS, Roberts C. Value of the Immunization Program for Children in the 2017 US Birth Cohort. Pediatrics. 2022 Jul 13. doi: 10.1542/peds.2021-056007. Online ahead of print. PMID: 35821603
- Fowler CI, Koo HP, Richmond AD, Creel D, Asman K. U.S. women's knowledge of reproductive biology. Womens Health Issues. 2022 Jul 19:S1049-3867(22)00053-6. doi: 10.1016/j.whi.2022.05.004. Online ahead of print. PMID: 35868957
- Gatz JL, Armstrong MA, Postlethwaite D, Raine-Bennett T, Chillemi G, Alabaster A, Merchant M, Reed SD, Ichikawa L, Getahun D, Fassett MJ, Shi JM, Xie F, Chiu VY, Im TM, Takhar HS, Wang J, Saltus CW, Ritchey ME, Asiimwe A, Pisa F, Schoendorf J, Wahdan Y, Zhou X, Hunter S, Anthony MS, Peipert JF. Association between intrauterine device type and risk of perforation and device expulsion: results from the Association of Perforation and Expulsion of Intrauterine Device study. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2022 Jul;227(1):57.e1-57.e13. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2022.03.062. Epub 2022 Apr 5. PMID: 35395215
- Getahun D, Fassett MJ, Gatz J, Armstrong MA, Peipert JF, Raine-Bennett T, Reed SD, Zhou X, Schoendorf J, Postlethwaite D, Shi JM, Saltus CW, Wang J, Xie F, Chiu VY, Merchant M, Alabaster A, Ichikawa LE, Hunter S, Im TM, Takhar HS, Ritchey ME, Chillemi G, Pisa F, Asiimwe A, Anthony MS. Association between menorrhagia and risk of intrauterine device-related uterine perforation and device expulsion: results from the Association of Uterine Perforation and Expulsion of Intrauterine Device study. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2022 Jul;227(1):59.e1-59.e9. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2022.03.025. Epub 2022 Mar 12. PMID: 35292234
- Hauspurg A, Marsh D, Catov J. NT-proBNP in early pregnancy and future hypertension-more explorations needed-reply. JAMA Cardiol. 2022 Jul 20. doi: 10.1001/jamacardio.2022.2003. Online ahead of print. PMID: 35857287.
- Hayashi Y, Fisher NM, Hantula DA, Furman L, Washio Y. A behavioral economic demand analysis of mothers' decision to exclusively breastfeed in the workplace. J Exp Anal Behav. 2022 Jul;118(1):132-147. doi: 10.1002/jeab.772. Epub 2022 May 24. PMID: 35607847
- Hu SY, Zhao XL, Zhao FH, Wei LH, Zhou Q, Niyazi M, Liu JH, Wang CY, Li LY, Cheng XD, Duan XZ, Sauvaget C, Qiao YL, Sankaranarayanan R. Implementation of visual inspection with acetic acid and lugol's iodine for cervical cancer screening in rural China. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2022 Jul 24. doi: 10.1002/ijgo.14368. Online ahead of print. PMID: 35871356
- Joshi S, Muwonge R, Kulkarni V, Mandolkar M, Lucas E, Pujari S, Sankaranarayanan R, Basu P. Can we increase the cervical cancer screening interval with an HPV test for women living with HIV? Results of a cohort study from Maharashtra, India. Int J Cancer. 2022 Jul 19. doi: 10.1002/ijc.34221. Online ahead of print. PMID: 35852007
- Krebs NF, Hambidge KM, Westcott JL, Garcés AL, Figueroa L, Tshefu AK, Lokangaka AL, Goudar SS, Dhaded SM, Saleem S, Ali SA, Bauserman MS, Derman RJ, Goldenberg RL, Das A, Chowdhury D; Women First Preconception Maternal Nutrition Study Group. Birth length is the strongest predictor of linear growth status and stunting in the first 2 years of life after a preconception maternal nutrition intervention: the children of the Women First trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2022 Jul 6;116(1):86-96. doi: 10.1093/ajcn/nqac051. PMID: 35681255.
- Lantiere AE, Rojas MA, Bisson C, Fitch E, Woodward A, Stevenson EL. Men's involvement in sexual and reproductive health care and decision making in the Philippines: a systematic review of the literature. Am J Mens Health. 2022 Jul-Aug;16(4):15579883221106052. doi: 10.1177/15579883221106052. PMID: 35815925
- Lebov JF, Hooper SR, Pugh N, Becker-Dreps S, Bowman NM, Brown LM, MacDonald PDM, Lakshmanane P, Jadi R, Bucardo F, Chevez T, Rodriguez AH, Aleman Rivera TJ. Neurological and neuropsychological sequelae of Zika virus infection in children in León, Nicaragua. Rev Panam Salud Publica. 2022 Jul 20;46:e90. doi: 10.26633/RPSP.2022.90. eCollection 2022. PMID: 35875321
- Malo VF, Ritchwood TD, Relf MV, Bekker LG. Does type of social support influence medication adherence among South African adolescents living with HIV? A quantitative analysis of pilot data. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 2022 Jul-Aug 01;33(4):492-498. doi: 10.1097/JNC.0000000000000325. Epub 2022 Jan 14. PMID: 35034084
- McClure EM, Saleem S, Goudar SS, Tikmani SS, Dhaded SM, Hwang K, Guruprasad G, Shobha D, Sarvamangala B, Yogeshkumar S, Somannavar MS, Roujani S, Reza S, Raza J, Yasmin H, Aceituno A, Parlberg L, Kim J, Bann CM, Silver RM, Goldenberg RL; PURPOSe Study Group. The causes of stillbirths in south Asia: results from a prospective study in India and Pakistan (PURPOSe). Lancet Glob Health. 2022 Jul;10(7):e970-e977. doi: 10.1016/S2214-109X(22)00180-2. PMID: 35714647
- Naqvi F, Naqvi S, Billah SM, Saleem S, Fogleman E, Peres-da-Silva N, Figueroa L, Mazariegos M, Garces AL, Patel A, Das P, Kavi A, Goudar SS, Esamai F, Chomba E, Lokangaka A, Tshefu A, Haque R, Siraj S, Yousaf S, Bauserman M, Liechty EA, Krebs NF, Derman RJ, Carlo WA, Petri WA Jr, Hibberd PL, Koso-Thomas M, Bann CM, McClure EM, Goldenberg RL. Knowledge, attitude and practices of pregnant women related to COVID-19 infection: A cross-sectional survey in seven countries from the Global Network for Women's and Children's Health. BJOG. 2022 Jul;129(8):1289-1297. doi: 10.1111/1471-0528.17122. Epub 2022 Mar 10. PMID: 35157346
- Naqvi S, Naqvi F, Saleem S, Thorsten VR, Figueroa L, Mazariegos M, Garces A, Patel A, Das P, Kavi A, Goudar SS, Esamai F, Mwenchanya M, Chomba E, Lokangaka A, Tshefu A, Yousuf S, Bauserman M, Bose CL, Liechty EA, Krebs NF, Derman RJ, Carlo WA, Hibberd PL, Billah SM, Peres-da-Silva N, Haque R, Petri WA Jr, Koso-Thomas M, Nolen T, McClure EM, Goldenberg RL. Health care in pregnancy during the COVID-19 pandemic and pregnancy outcomes in six low- and-middle-income countries: Evidence from a prospective, observational registry of the Global Network for Women's and Children's Health. BJOG. 2022 Jul;129(8):1298-1307. doi: 10.1111/1471-0528.17175. PMID: 35377514
- Ngongo CJ, Raassen TJIP, Mahendeka M, Lombard L, van Roosmalen J. Iatrogenic genito-urinary fistula following cesarean birth in nine sub-Saharan African countries: a retrospective review. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2022 Jul 5;22(1):541. doi: 10.1186/s12884-022-04774-0. PMID: 35790950
- Nyblade L, Stockton MA, Saalim K, Rabiu Abu-Ba'are G, Clay S, Chonta M, Dada D, Mankattah E, Vormawor R, Appiah P, Boakye F, Akrong R, Manu A, Gyamerah E, Turner D, Sharma K, Torpey K, Nelson LE. Using a mixed-methods approach to adapt an HIV stigma reduction to address intersectional stigma faced by men who have sex with men in Ghana. J Int AIDS Soc. 2022 Jul;25 Suppl 1(Suppl 1):e25908. doi: 10.1002/jia2.25908. PMID: 35818873
- Perez EA, Dang C, Lee C, Singh J, Wang K, Layton JB, Gilsenan A, Hackshaw MD, Cortes J. Incidence of adverse events with therapies targeting HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer: a literature review. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2022 Jul;194(1):1-11. doi: 10.1007/s10549-021-06469-0. Epub 2022 May 19. PMID: 35587323.
- Reif LK, van Olmen J, McNairy ML, Ahmed S, Putta N, Bermejo R, Nugent R, Paintsil E, Daelmans B, Varghese C, Sugandhi N, Abrams EJ. Models of lifelong care for children and adolescents with chronic conditions in low-income and middle-income countries: a scoping review. BMJ Glob Health. 2022 Jul;7(7):e007863. doi: 10.1136/bmjgh-2021-007863. PMID: 35787510
- Roberts ST, Hawley I, Luecke E, Mensch B, Wagner T, Hoesley C, McClure T, Dominguez Islas CP, Piper JM, Liu AY, van der Straten A. Acceptability and preference for 3-month versus 1-month vaginal rings for HIV-1 risk reduction among participants in a phase 1 trial. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2022 Jul;31(7):1029-1039. doi: 10.1089/jwh.2021.0121. Epub 2021 Oct 19. PMID: 34665672
- Steward WT, Srinivasan K, Raj T, Heylen E, Nyblade L, Mazur A, Devadass D, Pereira M, Ekstrand ML. The influence of transmission-based and moral-based HIV stigma beliefs on intentions to discriminate among ward staff in south Indian health care settings. AIDS Behav. 2022 Jul 1. doi: 10.1007/s10461-022-03755-w. Online ahead of print. PMID: 35776252
- Stoner MCD, Browne EN, Etima J, Musara P, Hartmann M, Shapley-Quinn MK, Kemigisha D, Mutero P, Mgodi NM, Nakabiito C, Bhushan NL, Piper J, van der Straten A, Minnis AM. Couples' decision making regarding the use of multipurpose prevention technology (MPT) for pregnancy and HIV prevention. AIDS Behav. 2022 Jul 1. doi: 10.1007/s10461-022-03756-9. Online ahead of print. PMID: 35776249
- Subramanian S, Namusoke-Magongo E, Edwards P, Atujuna M, Chimulwa T, Dow D, Jalil E, Torbunde N, Agot K, Arinaitwe I, Beizer J, Chelwa N, Mbalinda SN, Miti S, Mwangwa F. Integrated health care delivery for adolescents living with and at risk of HIV infection: A review of models and actions for implementation. AIDS Behav. 2022 Jul 16:1-14. doi: 10.1007/s10461-022-03787-2. Online ahead of print. PMID: 35841465
- Tahlil KM, Rachal L, Gbajabiamila T, Nwaozuru U, Obiezu-Umeh C, Hlatshwako T, Tembo M, Willis N, Nyagog CO, Vorkoper S, Sturke R, Rosenberg NE, Ojo V, Moses I, Ahmed N, Beima-Sofie K, Roberts ST, Kateera B, Namisoke-Magongo E, Mbizvo MT, Iwelunmor J, Ezechi O, Tucker JD. Assessing engagement of adolescents and young adults (AYA) in HIV research: A multi-method analysis of a crowdsourcing open call and typology of AYA engagement in Sub-Saharan Africa. AIDS Behav. 2022 Jul 12:1-12. doi: 10.1007/s10461-022-03786-3. Online ahead of print. PMID: 35829970
- Talbird SE, Carrico J, La EM, Carias C, Marshall GS, Roberts CS, Chen YT, Nyaku MK. Impact of routine childhood immunization in reducing vaccine-preventable diseases in the US. Pediatrics. 2022 Jul 13. doi: 10.1542/peds.2021-056013. Online ahead of print. PMID: 35821599
- Trocin KE, Oga EA, Mulatya C, Mark KS, Coleman-Cowger VH. Patient perceptions of three substance use screening tools for use during pregnancy. Matern Child Health J. 2022 Jul;26(7):1488-1495. doi: 10.1007/s10995-022-03442-1. Epub 2022 Apr 24. PMID: 35461364
- Wechsberg WM, van der Drift I, Howard BN, Myers B, Browne FA, Bonner CP, Carney T, Ndirangu J, Washio Y. Gender and context matter: Behavioral and structural interventions for people who use alcohol and other drugs in Africa. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2022, 19, 8661. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph19148661
We update our website regularly with all RTI Gender-related publications under resources. Please let us know if we missed any of yours.
July Publication Feature
This paper by Dr. Felicia Browne and colleagues used cross-sectional data from over 600 North Carolina African American women in emerging adulthood to look at the relationship between educational attainment, substance use, and sexual risk within this population. One of the key findings in this paper is that those women who had completed some or all of a college degree were more likely to show heavy alcohol use in the last 30 days and alcohol or drug use before and/or during last sex.
Browne FA, Bonner CP, Kline TL, Cox EN, Gichane MW, Wechsberg WM. Alcohol, drug use, and sexual risk among young African American women in North Carolina: is educational attainment protective? Vulnerable Child Youth Stud. 2022 Jul. DOI: 10.1080/17450128.2022.2089794
RTI Gender-related July Project Wins
- Jean Lennon and team on their win, Variations in Implementation of Quality Interventions - Qual Interviews Add-on, from MDRC
- Courtney Bonner and team on their win, 217711/BW Implementation Science Study, from a pharmaceutical company
- Jonathan Gordon and team on their win, GSS 2022-2025, from the NSF
- Joshua Pretlow and team on their win, National Youth Tobacco Surveys 2023-2027, from the CDC/NCCDPHP
- Elizabeth McClure and team on their win, Global Network DCC - Postpartum IV Iron, from the Foundation for the NIH (FNIH)
- James Harrington and team on their win, BEE Study Analytical Support - Trace Metals, from the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill (UNC Chapel Hill)
July Project Win Feature
Congratulations to Dr. Elizabeth McClure and team on their win, Global Network DCC - Postpartum IV Iron, from the Foundation for the NIH (FNIH), which seeks to determine if administration of single-dose intravenous (IV) infusion is amore effective at reducing anemia than standard of care oral iron in postpartum women.
August 26th is Women's Equality Day! Stay tuned for a special event celebrating this important day.
Gender Science News
New clues to how maternal antibodies can protect babies from cytomegalovirus
COVID-19 vaccine does not negatively affect placental health, study finds
Informing children of a mother's genetic cancer risk does not impact their health behaviors, study finds
Gender pay gap linked to unpaid chores in childhood
Women urged to eat potassium-rich foods to improve their heart health
Are you following us on Twitter
Don't miss out on snippets of our current gender-related research and important dates to remember!