Dear Friends and Colleagues,
It is hard to believe that the end of the year is upon us. Having just celebrated Thanksgiving here in the US, it was a time for pausing for a few days. I want to express my gratitude to all of you who have committed your careers to ending gender inequalities and especially addressing gender-based violence.
We are now in the 16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence. These 16 days go as far back as I have worked at RTI, and started at Rutgers University when the first Women’s Global Leadership Institute was held. These 16 days are a global campaign so I welcome you to share your projects, presentations, publications, and voices from the field to show how we ALL are part of the solution. We will blog and tweet! See what we have already been sharing on our Twitter about your efforts to address this issue around the world, and what we still need to do to impact change.
November -- or "Movember" – provided us an opportunity to have a really nice event reflecting on issues facing men globally and to consider how men are integral to ending gender inequalities as well.
We are planning events already for next year, please let us know if you want to share your work or have ideas for guest speakers.
I wish you all a great holiday season filled with unity, love, and healing. We are bleeding from mass violence and know there is much to do for women’s and gender empowerment overall. I hope you know how grateful I am for all that you do once again.
RTI Gender-related November Publications
- Anthony MS, Zhou X, Schoendorf J, Reed SD, Getahun D, Armstrong MA, Gatz J, Peipert JF, Raine-Bennett T, Fassett MJ, Saltus CW, Ritchey ME, Ichikawa L, Shi JM, Alabaster A, Wahdan Y, Wang J, Xie F, Merchant M, Hunter S, Chiu VY, Postlethwaite D, Rothman KJ, Im TM, Chillemi G, Takhar HS, Asiimwe A, Pisa F. Demographic, Reproductive, and Medical Risk Factors for Intrauterine Device Expulsion. Obstet Gynecol. 2022 Nov 3;140(6):1017–30. doi: 10.1097/AOG.0000000000005000.
- Bell EF, Stoll BJ, Hansen NI, Wyckoff MH, Walsh MC, Sánchez PJ, Rysavy MA, Gabrio JH, Archer SW, Das A, Higgins RD. Contributions of the NICHD neonatal research network's generic database to documenting and advancing the outcomes of extremely preterm infants. Semin Perinatol. 2022 Nov;46(7):151635. doi: 10.1016/j.semperi.2022.151635.
- Belmin C, Hoffmann R, Elkasabi M, Pichler PP. LivWell: a sub-national dataset on the living conditions of women and their well-being for 52 countries. Sci Data. 2022 Nov 22;9(1):719. doi: 10.1038/s41597-022-01824-2.
- Bhushan NL, Shangase N, Kimaru LJ, Gomez-Olive FX, Kahn K, Pettifor AE. HIV Related behaviors among male partners of adolescent girls and young women in rural South Africa. AIDS Behav. 2022 Nov 1. doi: 10.1007/s10461-022-03882-4.
- Blakely ML, Rysavy MA, Lally KP, Eggleston B, Pedroza C, Tyson JE. Special considerations in randomized trials investigating neonatal surgical treatments. Semin Perinatol. 2022 Nov;46(7):151640. doi: 10.1016/j.semperi.2022.151640.
- Boshe J, Brtek V, Beima-Sofie K, Braitstein P, Brooks M, Denison J, Donenberg G, Kemigisha E, Memiah P, Njuguna I, Poku O, Roberts ST, Shayo AM, Dow DE. Integrating adolescent mental health into HIV prevention and treatment programs: Can implementation science pave the path forward? AIDS Behav. 2022 Nov 2:1–17. doi: 10.1007/s10461-022-03876-2.
- Braitmaier M, Kollhorst B, Heinig M, Langner I, Czwikla J, Heinze F, Buschmann L, Minnerup H, García-Albéniz X, Hense HW, Karch A, Zeeb H, Haug U, Didelez V. Effectiveness of mammography screening on breast cancer mortality - A study protocol for emulation of target trials using German health claims data. Clin Epidemiol. 2022 Nov 2;14:1293-1303. doi: 10.2147/CLEP.S376107.
- Browne FA, Gichane MW, Shangase N, Ndirangu J, Bonner CP, Wechsberg WM. Social determinants of alcohol and other drug misuse among women living with HIV in economically underserved communities in Cape Town, South Africa: A cross- sectional study. AIDS Behav. 2022 Nov 7:1–10. doi: 10.1007/s10461-022-03869-1.
- Casanueva C, Kluckman M, Harris S, Brown J, Fraser JG. Supporting parents' services access during the COVID-19 pandemic through the Infant-Toddler Court Team program. Matern Child Health J. 2022 Nov 8:1–8. doi: 10.1007/s10995-022-03527-x.
- Choi G, Kuiper JR, Bennett DH, Barrett ES, Bastain TM, Breton CV, Chinthakindi S, Dunlop AL, Farzan SF, Herbstman JB, Karagas MR, Marsit CJ, Meeker JD, Morello-Frosch R, O'Connor TG, Pellizzari ED, Romano ME, Sathyanarayana S, Schantz S, Schmidt RJ, Watkins DJ, Zhu H, Kannan K, Buckley JP, Woodruff TJ; program collaborators for Environmental influences on Child Health Outcomes. Exposure to melamine and its derivatives and aromatic amines among pregnant women in the United States: The ECHO Program. Chemosphere. 2022 Nov;307(Pt 2):135599. doi: 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2022.135599.
- Deese J, Chen PL, Gao X, Heffron R, Hobbs M, Lapple D, Jaspan H, Miller A, Nair G, Onono M, Palanee-Phillips T, Reddy K, Steiner MJ. Post-randomization differences in condomless vaginal sex among women randomized to intramuscular depot medroxyprogesterone acetate injections, a copper intrauterine device or a levonorgestrel implant in the ECHO trial. AIDS Behav. 2022 Nov 11. doi: 10.1007/s10461-022-03834-y.
- Dhaded SM, Saleem S, Goudar SS, Tikmani SS, Hwang K, Guruprasad G, Aradhya GH, Kusagur VB, Patil LGC, Yogeshkumar S, Somannavar MS, Reza S, Roujani S, Raza J, Yasmin H, Aceituno A, Parlberg L, Kim J, Moore J, Bann CM, Silver RM, Goldenberg RL, McClure EM; PURPOSe study group. The causes of preterm neonatal deaths in India and Pakistan (PURPOSe): a prospective cohort study. Lancet Glob Health. 2022 Nov;10(11):e1575-e1581. doi: 10.1016/S2214-109X(22)00384-9. PMID:
- Eckhoff R, Boyce M, Watkins RL, Kan M, Scaglione N, Pound L, Root M. Examining the use of mobile technology to deliver tailored sexual assault prevention in a classroom environment in the military: Development and usability study. JMIR Mhealth Uhealth. 2022 Nov 16;10(11):e41455. doi: 10.2196/41455.
- Flannery DD, Puopolo KM, Hansen NI, Sánchez PJ, Stoll BJ; Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Neonatal Research Network. Neonatal infections: Insights from a multicenter longitudinal research collaborative. Semin Perinatol. 2022 Nov;46(7):151637. doi: 10.1016/j.semperi.2022.151637.
- Gartlehner G, Patel SV, Reddy S, Rains C, Schwimmer M, Kahwati L. Hormone therapy for the primary prevention of chronic conditions in postmenopausal persons: Updated evidence report and systematic review for the US Preventive Services Task Force. JAMA. 2022 Nov 1;328(17):1747-1765. doi: 10.1001/jama.2022.18324.
- Gheit T, Muwonge R, Lucas E, Galati L, Anantharaman D, McKay-Chopin S, Malvi SG, Jayant K, Joshi S, Esmy PO, Pillai MR, Basu P, Sankaranarayanan R, Tommasino M. Impact of HPV vaccination on HPV-related oral infections. Oral Oncol. 2022 Nov 16;136:106244. doi: 10.1016/j.oraloncology.2022.106244.
- Goldenberg RL, Dhaded S, Saleem S, Goudar SS, Tikmani SS, Trotta M, Hwang Jackson K, Guruprasad G, Kulkarni V, Kumar S, Uddin Z, Reza S, Raza J, Yasmin H, Yogeshkumar S, Somannavar MS, Aceituno A, Parlberg L, Silver RM, McClure EM; PURPOSe Study Group. Birth asphyxia is under-rated as a cause of preterm neonatal mortality in low- and middle-income countries: A prospective, observational study from PURPOSe. BJOG. 2022 Nov;129(12):1993-2000. doi: 10.1111/1471-0528.17220.
- Goldenberg RL, Naqvi S, Saleem S, McClure E. Variability in COVID-19 vaccination rates in pregnant women: Vaccine hesitancy or supply limitations? BJOG. 2022 Nov;129(12):2095-2096. doi: 10.1111/1471-0528.17257.
- Jensen EA, Laughon MM, DeMauro SB, Cotten CM, Do B, Carlo WA, Watterberg KL. Contributions of the NICHD neonatal research network to the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of bronchopulmonary dysplasia. Semin Perinatol. 2022 Nov;46(7):151638. doi: 10.1016/j.semperi.2022.151638.
- Katz AWK, Balán IC, Reddy K, Etima J, Weber K, Tauya T, Atujuna M, Scheckter R, Ngure K, Soto-Torres L, Mgodi N, Palanee-Phillips T, Baeten JM, van der Straten A. Women's experience receiving drug feedback and adherence counseling in MTN-025/HOPE - an HIV Prevention open-label trial of the Dapivirine Vaginal Ring. AIDS Behav. 2022 Nov;26(11):3607-3619. doi: 10.1007/s10461-022-03663-z.
- Kelkar SS, Prabhu VS, Corman S, Odak S, Rusibamayila N, Macahilig C, Orlowski R, Duska L. Treatment patterns and real-world clinical outcomes in patients with advanced endometrial cancer who are microsatellite instability (MSI)-high or are mismatch repair deficient (dMMR) in the United States. Gynecol Oncol. 2022 Nov 4:S0090-8258(22)01893-5. doi: 10.1016/j.ygyno.2022.10.016.
- Kilbride HW, Vohr BR, McGowan EM, Peralta-Carcelen M, Stringer K, Das A, Archer SW, Hintz SR. Early neurodevelopmental follow-up in the NICHD neonatal research network: Advancing neonatal care and outcomes, opportunities for the future. Semin Perinatol. 2022 Nov;46(7):151642. doi: 10.1016/j.semperi.2022.151642.
- Man I, Georges D, de Carvalho TM, Ray Saraswati L, Bhandari P, Kataria I, Siddiqui M, Muwonge R, Lucas E, Berkhof J, Sankaranarayanan R, Bogaards JA, Basu P, Baussano I. Evidence-based impact projections of single-dose human papillomavirus vaccination in India: a modelling study. Lancet Oncol. 2022 Nov;23(11):1419-1429. doi: 10.1016/S1470-2045(22)00543-5.
- Mukamana D, Gishoma D, Holt L, Kayiranga D, Na JJ, White R, Nyblade L, Knettel BA, Agasaro C, Relf MV. Dehumanizing language, motherhood in the context of HIV, and overcoming HIV stigma - the voices of Rwandan women with HIV: A focus group study. Int J Nurs Stud. 2022 Nov;135:104339. doi: 10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2022.104339.
- Naqvi S, Saleem S, Naqvi F, Billah SM, Nielsen E, Fogleman E, Peres-da-Silva N, Figueroa L, Mazariegos M, Garces AL, Patel A, Das P, Kavi A, Goudar SS, Esamai F, Chomba E, Lokangaka A, Tshefu A, Haque R, Siraj S, Yousaf S, Bauserman M, Liechty EA, Krebs NF, Derman RJ, Carlo WA, Petri WA Jr, Hibberd PL, Koso- Thomas M, Thorsten V, McClure EM, Goldenberg RL. Knowledge, attitudes, and practices of pregnant women regarding COVID-19 vaccination in pregnancy in 7 low- and middle-income countries: An observational trial from the Global Network for Women and Children's Health Research. BJOG. 2022 Nov;129(12):2002-2009. doi: 10.1111/1471-0528.17226.
- Patock-Peckham JA, Corbin WR, Smyth H, Canning JR, Ruof A, Williams J. Effects of stress, alcohol prime dose, and sex on ad libitum drinking. Psychol Addict Behav. 2022 Nov;36(7):871-884. doi: 10.1037/adb0000801. Epub 2021 Dec 13. PMID: 34898232; PMCID: PMC9189246.
- Saberi P, Stoner MCD, Eskaf S, Ndukwe S, Campbell CK, Sauceda JA, Dubé K. Preferences for HIV treatment formulations among young adults with HIV in the United States. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2022 Nov 7. doi: 10.1097/QAI.0000000000003128.
- Saberi P, Stoner MCD, Ming K, Lisha NE, Hojilla JC, Scott HM, Liu AY, Steward WT, Johnson MO, Neilands TB. The effect of an HIV preexposure prophylaxis panel management strategy to increase preexposure prophylaxis prescriptions. AIDS. 2022 Nov 1;36(13):1783-1789. doi: 10.1097/QAD.0000000000003283.
- Shukla VV, Rysavy MA, Das A, Tyson JE, Bell EF, Ambalavanan N, Carlo WA. Outcome prediction in newborn infants: Past, present, and future. Semin Perinatol. 2022 Nov;46(7):151641. doi: 10.1016/j.semperi.2022.151641.
- Skouteris H, Green R, Chung A, Bergmeier H, Amir LH, Baidwan SK, Chater AM, Chamberlain C, Emond R, Gibbons K, Gooey M, Hatzikiriakidis K, Haycraft E, Hills AP, Higgins DJ, Hooper O, Hunter SA, Kappelides P, Kleve S, Krakouer J, Lumeng JC, Manios Y, Mansoor A, Marmot M, Mâsse LC, Matvienko-Sikar K, Mchiza ZJ, Meyer C, Moschonis G, Munro ER, O'Connor TM, O'Neil A, Quarmby T, Sandford R, Schneiderman JU, Sherriff S, Simkiss D, Spence A, Sturgiss E, Vicary D, Wickes R, Wolfenden L, Story M, Black MM. Nurturing children's development through healthy eating and active living: Time for policies to support effective interventions in the context of responsive emotional support and early learning. Health Soc Care Community. 2022 Nov 19. doi: 10.1111/hsc.14106.
- Stoner MCD, Tweedy D, Comello MGL, Toval C, Pettifor AE, Larsen MA, Baez A, Maragh-Bass AC, Tolley EE, Browne EN, Anderson L, Muessig KE, Budhwani H, Hightow-Weidman LB. Using narratives to inform the development of a digital health intervention related to COVID-19 vaccination in Black young adults in Georgia, North Carolina and Alabama. Vaccine. 2022 Nov 15;40(48):6908-6916. doi: 10.1016/j.vaccine.2022.10.027.
We update our website regularly with all RTI Gender-related publications under resources. Please let us know if we missed any of yours.
November Publication Feature
Military sexual assault is a pervasive issue in the United States. RTI International researchers conducted a feasibility study evaluating the use of app-based sexual assault prevention courses on tablets, and found that, while effective, there were also significant technical barriers that posed challenges to the implementation of this intervention, such as consistent Wi-Fi access. In response to these challenges, the research team developed a web-based version of the training. You can read the full article here.
Eckhoff R, Boyce M, Watkins RL, Kan M, Scaglione N, Pound L, Root M. Examining the use of mobile technology to deliver tailored sexual assault prevention in a classroom environment in the military: Development and usability study. JMIR Mhealth Uhealth. 2022 Nov 16;10(11):e41455. doi: 10.2196/41455.
RTI Gender-related November Project Wins
- Matthew Finholt-Daniel and team on their win, Sierra Leone Secondary Education Improvement Programme (SSEIP), FY23 Add On, from Mott MacDonald Ltd. - UK
- Matthew Finholt-Daniel and team on their win, Data Management and Site Monitoring for Azithromycin Trial in Mali, from the University of Maryland - Baltimore (UMB)
- Stephanie O'Donnell and team on their win, Monkey Pox Epidemiological Modeling and Mitigation Strategy Analysis for Public Health Authority of KSA, from the World Bank
- Katherine Wachala and team on their win, Philippines SIBOL Ceiling Add on, from USAID Philippines
- Tania Brunn and team on their win, Ethiopia Food and Agriculture System Transformation (FAST), from the USAID Ethiopia Mission
- Roberta Hadley and team on their win, WCPSS DEI Assessment & Equity Framework, from the Wake County Public School System
- Tania Brunn and team on their win, Feed the Future Kenya Crops and Dairy Market Systems Activity add-on, from USAID Kenya
November Project Feature
Food insecurity is an issue that disproportionately impacts women and children globally. Congratulations to Tania Brunn and team on their win, Feed the Future Kenya Crops and Dairy Market Systems Activity add-on from USAID Kenya, which seeks to address growing food insecurity in Kenya, particularly in light of the ongoing food shortage crisis due to environmental, political, and social challenges.
November Event Recap
In honor of both International Men's Day and Movember, the RTI Global Gender Center hosted an event featuring affiliates Dr. Phillip Graham and Dr. Stephanie Hawkins, and moderated by Dr. Darigg Brown, on the importance of reaching men and boys of color in research. Dr. Graham shared about the Forward Promise initiative. Dr. Hawkins shared about some of her previous work on violence reduction among men and boys of color, as well as some of the efforts of the newly formed Transformative Research Unit for Equity (TRUE). This event was attended by almost 40 individuals.
If you are interested in viewing a recording of this event, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
DECEMBER 1, 2022
Register here to attend the RTI International xHIV group's World HIV Day event, taking place on Thursday, December 1 from 12:00 -- 1:00 PM ET.
JUNE 16, 2023
Save the date for the 15th InWomen's Conference in Denver, Colorado! Submit your abstracts here.
Gender Science News
Mum's activity levels may depend on number and ages of children
Baby's vaccine responses determined by birth delivery method, study finds
Limited postpartum follow-up may miss high blood pressure in 1 in 10 new moms
How hormonal birth control may affect the adolescent brain
Significant decline in sperm counts globally, including Latin America, Asia, and Africa, study finds
Are you following us on Twitter
Don't miss out on snippets of our current gender-related research and important dates to remember!
Interested in or know of someone who is interested in
becoming an external affiliate of the RTI Global Gender Center?
Click Here for More Information