Dear Friends and Colleagues,
As our year seems to be taking off at great speed, I am struck by the horror of violence around us locally and globally while we persist in our commitment to improve the human condition through impactful projects. Tomorrow starts the month of Love, Black History, Heart Health Awareness, and Cancer Prevention. These are all tied together in our needing to care for our emotional and physical wellbeing, knowing the primary and secondary trauma we see, hear and observe each day in communities and schools. We often become numb while we work so hard in our daily efforts trying to rise above all this trauma while our hearts are hurting. The honest truth is we need to be kinder and more supportive of everyone so that we emulate our best selves.
We held an event this past month on National Human Trafficking Prevention to address what RTI experts are doing to make a difference. Please read more about it below. We are in the midst of our preparations for the 15th InWomen's conference in Denver! Most importantly, we all want to honor RTI Global Gender Center affiliate and Vice President, Dr. Doris Rouse on her retirement from RTI after 47 illustrious years. Internationally known for her scientific stature and her 20-year commitment and "blessed stubbornness" in finding a treatment for TB. See how beautiful she is in red below!
Just wait to see what we have planned for the RTI GGC in 2023. We want to share your awesome work with more blogs and impact stories! Wishing you and yours wellness and recovery in a world that needs your passion and continued commitment to addressing gender inequality.
From left to right: Dr. Felicia Browne, Dr. Wendee Wechsberg, Dr. Doris Rouse, and Dr. Sharon Daily (who organized Dr. Rouse's retirement event)
RTI Gender-related January Publications
- Affengruber L, Wagner G, Dobrescu A, Toromanova A, Chapman A, Persad E, Klerings I, Gartlehner G. Values and preferences of patients with depressive disorders regarding pharmacologic and nonpharmacologic treatments: A rapid review. Ann Intern Med. 2023 Jan 24. doi: 10.7326/M22-1900. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36689749.
- Barbosa C, Dowd WN, Neuwahl SJ, Rehm J, Imtiaz S, Zarkin GA. Modeling the impact of COVID-19 pandemic-driven increases in alcohol consumption on health outcomes and hospitalization costs in the United States. Addiction. 2023 Jan;118(1):48-60. doi: 10.1111/add.16018. Epub 2022 Aug 17. PMID: 35915549; PMCID: PMC9539393.
- Bellad RM, Mahantshetti NS, Charantimath US, Ma T, Washio Y, Short VL, Chang K, Lalakia P, Jaeger FJ, Kelly PJ, Mungarwadi G, Karadiguddi CC, Goudar SS, Derman RJ. A training curriculum for an mHealth supported peer counseling program to promote exclusive breastfeeding in rural India. Int Breastfeed J. 2023 Jan 19;18(1):6. doi: 10.1186/s13006-023-00546-4. PMID: 36658581; PMCID: PMC9850503.
- Brummer J, Bloomfield K, Karriker-Jaffe KJ, Pedersen MM, Hesse M. Using the alcohol use disorders identification test to predict hospital admission for alcohol-related conditions in the Danish general population: a record-linkage study. Addiction. 2023 Jan;118(1):86-94. doi: 10.1111/add.16034. Epub 2022 Sep 7. PMID: 35993432.
- Dearden K, Mulokozi G, Linehan M, Cherian D, Torres S, West J, Crookston B, Hall C. The impact of a large-scale social and behavior change communication intervention in the Lake Zone region of Tanzania on knowledge, attitudes, and practices related to stunting prevention. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2023 Jan 10;20(2):1214. doi: 10.3390/ijerph20021214. PMID: 36673972; PMCID: PMC9859305.
- DePree B, Houghton K, Shiozawa A, Esterberg E, King DD, Kim J, Mancuso S. Treatment and resource utilization for menopausal symptoms in the United States: a retrospective review of real-world evidence from US electronic health records. Menopause. 2023 Jan 1;30(1):70-79. doi: 10.1097/GME.0000000000002095. Epub 2022 Nov 20. PMID: 36576444; PMCID: PMC9812413.
- Dharod JM, Hernandez M, Labban JD, Black MM, Ammerman A, Frazier C, Raynor N, Ramos-Castillo I. Associations between early introduction to complementary foods, subsequent cereal-added bottle feeding and daily macronutrient intake among infants. Appetite. 2023 Mar 1;182:106453. doi: 10.1016/j.appet.2023.106453. Epub 2023 Jan 5. PMID: 36621723.
- Fowler CI, Koo HP, Richmond AD, Creel D, Asman K. U.S. women's knowledge of reproductive biology. Womens Health Issues. 2023 Jan-Feb;33(1):54-66. doi: 10.1016/j.whi.2022.05.004. Epub 2022 Jul 20. PMID: 35868957.
- Gheit T, Muwonge R, Lucas E, Galati L, Anantharaman D, McKay-Chopin S, Malvi SG, Jayant K, Joshi S, Esmy PO, Pillai MR, Basu P, Sankaranarayanan R, Tommasino M. Impact of HPV vaccination on HPV-related oral infections. Oral Oncol. 2023 Jan;136:106244. doi: 10.1016/j.oraloncology.2022.106244. Epub 2022 Nov 16. PMID: 36402055; PMCID: PMC9833124.
- Goyal RK, Holmes HM, Chen H, Abughosh S, Candrilli SD, Johnson ML. Impact of CDK4/6 inhibitors on chemotherapy utilization in earlier therapy lines for HR+/HER2- metastatic breast cancer in the United States. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2023 Jan 7. doi: 10.1007/s10549-022-06845-4. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36609900.
- Hunter LA, Rao A, Napierala S, Kalinjila A, Mnyippembe A, Hassan K, Bertozzi SM, Mfaume R, Njau P, Liu JX, McCoy SI. Reaching adolescent girls and young women with HIV self-testing and contraception at girl-friendly drug shops: A randomized trial in Tanzania. J Adolesc Health. 2023 Jan;72(1):64-72. doi: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2022.08.013. Epub 2022 Oct 12. PMID: 36241492.
- Jones M, Subramanian S, Jose R. Cancer screening behaviors and preferences among women in southern India. J Cancer Policy. 2023 Jan 8;35:100401. doi: 10.1016/j.jcpo.2023.100401. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36632974.
- Kachoria P, Sasidaran S, Welling CM, Rosario P, Zhou J, Chakrabarty K, Gründl H, Kristoferitsch L, Grego S. Sensor-based evaluation of a Urine Trap toilet in a shared bathroom. Sci Total Environ. 2023 Jan 20;857(Pt 1):159178. doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2022.159178. Epub 2022 Oct 3. PMID: 36202366; PMCID: PMC9742848.
- Katz AWK, Roberts S, Rousseau E, Khoza MN, Mogaka F, Bukusi E, Delany-Moretlwe S, Bekker LG, Morton JF, Johnson R, Baeten JM, Celum C, van der Straten A. Qualitative analysis using social maps to explore young women's experiences with social support of their oral PrEP Use in Kenya and South Africa. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 2023 Jan-Feb 01;34(1):45-57. doi: 10.1097/JNC.0000000000000363. Epub 2022 Sep 23. PMID: 36170124.
- Lund KH, Laursen ASD, Grønborg TK, Toft G, Jacobsen BH, Wang TR, Wesselink AK, Hatch EE, Sommer GJ, Eisenberg ML, Rothman KJ, Sørensen HT, Wise LA, Mikkelsen EM. Perceived stress and semen quality. Andrology. 2023 Jan;11(1):45-53. doi: 10.1111/andr.13301. Epub 2022 Oct 10. PMID: 36151857.
- Mansfield C, Botha W, Vondeling GT, Klein K, Wang K, Singh J, Hackshaw MD. Patient preferences for features of HER2-targeted treatment of advanced or metastatic breast cancer: a discrete-choice experiment study. Breast Cancer. 2023 Jan;30(1):23-35. doi: 10.1007/s12282-022-01394-6. Epub 2022 Sep 8. PMID: 36074320; PMCID: PMC9454390.
- Margulis AV, Huybrechts K. Identification of pregnancies in healthcare data: A changing landscape. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2023 Jan;32(1):84-86. doi: 10.1002/pds.5526. Epub 2022 Sep 3. PMID: 35976191.
- Marsal A, Slama R, Lyon-Caen S, Borlaza LJS, Jaffrezo JL, Boudier A, Darfeuil S, Elazzouzi R, Gioria Y, Lepeule J, Chartier R, Pin I, Quentin J, Bayat S, Uzu G, Siroux V; SEPAGES cohort study group. Prenatal exposure to PM2.5 oxidative potential and lung function in infants and preschool-age children: A prospective study. Environ Health Perspect. 2023 Jan;131(1):17004. doi: 10.1289/EHP11155. Epub 2023 Jan 25. PMID: 36695591.
- Mbilinyi LF, Neighbors C, Walker DD, Segar K, Walton TO, Roffman RA, Zegree J, Urion W. What's in it for me? Motivating the untreated abuser to consider treatment. J Fam Violence. 2023;38(2):333-346. doi: 10.1007/s10896-022-00375-9. Epub 2022 Mar 4. PMID: 35261436; PMCID: PMC8893979.
- McClure EM, Goldenberg RL. Implementing effective investigations for cause of stillbirth. BJOG. 2023 Jan;130(1):68-69. doi: 10.1111/1471-0528.17310. Epub 2022 Oct 25. PMID: 36209459.
- Naidoo K, T ME, Katz AW, Morgan G, Krishnaveni R, Lydia ST, Sarita N, Leila ME. Efficacy and action of the Dapivirine Vaginal Ring as understood by women participating in an Open Label Extension Study. AIDS Behav. 2023 Jan;27(1):75-81. doi: 10.1007/s10461-022-03745-y. Epub 2022 Jun 7. PMID: 35672549.
- Napoe GS, Luchristt D, Sridhar A, Ellington D, Ridgeway B, Mazloomdoost D, Sung V, Ninivaggio C, Harvie H, Santiago-Lastra Y, Gantz MG, Zyczynski HM. Reoperation for prolapse recurrence after sacrospinous mesh hysteropexy: characteristics of women choosing retreatment. Int Urogynecol J. 2023 Jan;34(1):255-261. doi: 10.1007/s00192-022-05411-2. Epub 2022 Nov 30. PMID: 36449027; PMCID: PMC9839581.
- Poulos C, Xu Y, Botha W, Leach C, Wrobleski KK, Gordon K, Missmer SA, Estes SJ. A discrete-choice experiment study of physicians' prioritization of attributes of medical treatments for endometriosis-associated pain. Expert Rev Pharmacoecon Outcomes Res. 2023 Jan;23(1):111-121. doi: 10.1080/14737167.2023.2152006. Epub 2023 Jan 10. PMID: 36625547.
- Raspa M, Wheeler A, Okoniewski KC, Edwards A, Scott S. Research gaps in Fragile X Syndrome: An updated literature review to inform clinical and public health practice. J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2023 Jan 1;44(1):e56-e65. doi: 10.1097/DBP.0000000000001134. Epub 2022 Oct 11. PMID: 36219479; PMCID: PMC9770151.
- Richter HE, Sridhar A, Nager CW, Komesu YM, Harvie HS, Zyczynski HM, Rardin C, Visco A, Mazloomdoost D, Thomas S; Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Pelvic Floor Disorders Network. Characteristics associated with composite surgical failure over 5 years of women in a randomized trial of sacrospinous hysteropexy with graft vs vaginal hysterectomy with uterosacral ligament suspension. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2023 Jan;228(1):63.e1-63.e16. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2022.07.048. Epub 2022 Aug 2. PMID: 35931131; PMCID: PMC9790026.
- Saalim K, Amu-Adu P, Amoh-Otu RP, Akrong R, Abu-Ba'are GR, Stockton MA, Vormawor R, Torpey K, Nyblade L, Nelson LE. Multi-level manifestations of sexual stigma among men with same-gender sexual experience in Ghana. BMC Public Health. 2023 Jan 24;23(1):166. doi: 10.1186/s12889-023-15087-y. PMID: 36694150; PMCID: PMC9872747.
- Smith ER, Oakley E, Grandner GW, Ferguson K, Farooq F, Afshar Y, Ahlberg M, Ahmadzia H, Akelo V, Aldrovandi G, Tippett Barr BA, Bevilacqua E, Brandt JS, Broutet N, Fernández Buhigas I, Carrillo J, Clifton R, Conry J, Cosmi E, Crispi F, Crovetto F, Delgado-López C, Divakar H, Driscoll AJ, Favre G, Flaherman VJ, Gale C, Gil MM, Gottlieb SL, Gratacós E, Hernandez O, Jones S, Kalafat E, Khagayi S, Knight M, Kotloff K, Lanzone A, Le Doare K, Lees C, Litman E, Lokken EM, Laurita Longo V, Madhi SA, Magee LA, Martinez-Portilla RJ, McClure EM, Metz TD, Miller ES, Money D, Moungmaithong S, Mullins E, Nachega JB, Nunes MC, Onyango D, Panchaud A, Poon LC, Raiten D, Regan L, Rukundo G, Sahota D, Sakowicz A, Sanin-Blair J, Söderling J, Stephansson O, Temmerman M, Thorson A, Tolosa JE, Townson J, Valencia-Prado M, Visentin S, von Dadelszen P, Adams Waldorf K, Whitehead C, Yassa M, Tielsch JM; Perinatal COVID PMA Study Collaborators; and Perinatal COVID PMA Study Collaborators. Adverse maternal, fetal, and newborn outcomes among pregnant women with SARS-CoV-2 infection: an individual participant data meta-analysis. BMJ Glob Health. 2023 Jan;8(1):e009495. doi: 10.1136/bmjgh-2022-009495. PMID: 36646475.
- Steward WT, Srinivasan K, Raj T, Heylen E, Nyblade L, Mazur A, Devadass D, Pereira M, Ekstrand ML. The influence of transmission-based and moral-based HIV stigma beliefs on intentions to discriminate among ward staff in south Indian health care settings. AIDS Behav. 2023 Jan;27(1):189-197. doi: 10.1007/s10461-022-03755-w. Epub 2022 Jul 1. PMID: 35776252; PMCID: PMC9805471.
- Stockton MA, Kraemer J, Oga E, Kimani J, Mbote D, Kemunto C, Njuguna S, Nyblade L. Validation of a brief internalized sex-work stigma scale among female sex workers in Kenya. J Sex Res. 2023 Jan;60(1):146-152. doi: 10.1080/00224499.2021.1983752. Epub 2021 Oct 8. PMID: 34622725; PMCID: PMC8989712.
- Stoner MCD, Browne EN, Etima J, Musara P, Hartmann M, Shapley-Quinn MK, Kemigisha D, Mutero P, Mgodi NM, Nakabiito C, Bhushan NL, Piper J, van der Straten A, Minnis AM. Couples' decision making regarding the use of multipurpose prevention technology (MPT) for pregnancy and HIV prevention. AIDS Behav. 2023 Jan;27(1):198-207. doi: 10.1007/s10461-022-03756-9. Epub 2022 Jul 1. PMID: 35776249; PMCID: PMC9805468.
- Willis SK, Wise LA, Laursen ASD, Wesselink AK, Mikkelsen EM, Tucker KL, Rothman KJ, Hatch EE. Glycemic load, dietary fiber, added sugar, and spontaneous abortion in two preconception cohorts. J Nutr. 2023 Jan 14;152(12):2818-2826. doi: 10.1093/jn/nxac202. PMID: 36057842; PMCID: PMC9839996.
We update our website regularly with all RTI Gender-related publications under resources. Please let us know if we missed any of yours.
January Publication Feature
RTI International researchers worked with over 200 women in southern India to understand oral, breast, and cervical cancer screening processes, behaviors, and preferences. These researchers found that provider recommendations are critical in ensuring that patients are being screened for cancer and that cancers are detected early.
Jones M, Subramanian S, Jose R. Cancer screening behaviors and preferences among women in southern India. J Cancer Policy. 2023 Jan 8;35:100401. doi: 10.1016/j.jcpo.2023.100401. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36632974.
RTI Gender-related January Project Wins
- Elizabeth Montgomery and team on their win, Add-on 0218470: CRRUSH, from the University of California San Francisco
- Alexandra Minnis and team on their win, MTN Year 17, from the Magee-Womens Research Institute (MWRI)
- Tracy Nolen and team on their win, Mobile Health: Technology and Outcomes in Low and Middle Income Countries, from the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill (UNC Chapel Hill)
- Bryan Quach and team on their win, GNetii Diversity Supplement to Identify Causal Molecular Pathways Linking Cocaine Abuse and HIV, from NIDA
- Cristina Bisson and team on their win, Add-on TEC Increase + extension- ReachHealth, from the USAID Philippines Mission
- Barrot Lambdin and team on their win, Improving PrEP Access to People who Inject Drugs with Syringe Service Programs, from the University of California San Diego
- Chamindu Liyanapatirana and team on their win, Lactational Environmental Exposures: Associations with Early Growth and Adiposity in the First Months of Life, from the University of Oklahoma
- Lauren Courtney and team on their win, South Sudan HIV/AIDS Care and Treatment Program - 2022 Follow on, from the DOD HIV/AIDS Prevention Program (DHAPP)
- Rebecca Granger and team on their win, National Survey of Family Growth: NSFG CLIN2 Add-on, from CDC/NCHS
January Project Feature
Congratulations to Dr. Alexandra Minnis and team on their win, MTN Year 17, from the Magee-Womens Research Institute (MWRI)! This project has been ongoing for 17 years to understand acceptability and feasibility of the dapivirine vaginal ring.
January Event Recap
On January 25th, the Global Gender Center hosted an event in honor of National Human Trafficking Prevention Month. This event featured presentations from affiliates Drs. Kelle Barrick, Rebecca Pfeffer, and Wayne Pitts on their work on trafficking domestically, moderated by Dr. Felicia Browne. Drs. Barrick and Pfeffer discussed their efforts in examining the prevalence of sex trafficking in Sacramento, and methods for reaching individuals who have experience with sex trafficking. Dr. Pitts discussed his work in addressing and understanding migrant labor trafficking in the United States, with a particular focus on Western North Carolina.
Please email email@example.com if you would like access to the recording of this presentation!
FEBRUARY 14, 2023 | 12 - 1 PM ET
Join us for an event on inclusive language in research and everyday life!
JUNE 16, 2023
Save the date for the 15th InWomen's Conference in Denver, Colorado! Abstract submissions have closed. Please stay tuned for registration and abstract notifications if you submitted! Latebreakers will open in April, due May 1st.
Gender Science News
Residential green space is associated with higher birth weight
HRT could ward off Alzheimer's in at-risk women
Call to address women's reproductive needs holistically
Study reveals average age at conception for men versus women past 250,000 years
Biomedical institutions agree on a set of open science practices to monitor
Are you following us on Twitter
Don't miss out on snippets of our current gender-related research and important dates to remember!