Dear Friends and Colleagues,
Here we are firmly in Spring in North Carolina as some of you are going into other seasons and some extreme weather! April was a busy month for the RTI Global Gender Center, as we celebrated Earth Day, and there were many gender wins and publications! Congratulations to you all! Please read more below. We had a meeting and a training for business development as well, "Unpacking the Social Inclusion in GESI: Gender Beyond the Binary".
Now more than ever it is critical that we understand the impact of climate change on all of us, how it disproportionately affects women and their families, especially in communities with little voice and power, and what solutions we are doing to save this beautiful planet. April was also a month of celebration for many of the world's major religions, and I hope that you and your families, or friends who are family, were able to come together.
We were proud to co-sponsor the IAPAC National Dialogue on the Intersection of Racism and HIV as a Public Health Crisis in Durham this year! Affiliate Dr. Felicia Browne, who has projects on this topic, moderated a panel on addressing health equity when it comes to HIV. You can learn more about this event series, including the Durham event, here.
As the summer approaches, I am also excited for our upcoming InWomen's Conference in Denver. This will be our 15th year, and you can read more about and register for the only conference centered around gender and substance misuse below.
We as a collective can be more inclusive with all people in our work. As many of us work in sexual and reproductive care, we should be concerned about the access challenges that may be forthcoming. We believe in RTI’s mission to improve the human condition, with a gender lens, therefore, we must continue to work in a collaborative spirit, so everyone is part of solution-making and impact.
RTI Gender-related April Publications
- Alsulami AO, Chahine R, Kong M, Kimberlin DW, Whitley RJ, James SH. Impact of human coronavirus infections on paediatric patients at a tertiary paediatric hospital: a retrospective study of the prepandemic era. J Hosp Infect. 2023 Apr;134:27-34. doi: 10.1016/j.jhin.2022.12.021. PMID: 36682627
- Browne EN, Torjesen K, Mirembe BG, Palanee-Phillips T, Jeenarain N, Chitukuta M, Stoner MCD, Mansoor LE, Reddy K, Tauya TT, Naidoo L, Siva S, Richardson B, Dadabhai S, Seyama L, Soto-Torres L, van der Straten A on behalf of the MTN-020/ASPIRE Study Team. Acceptability of the dapivirine vaginal ring for HIV-1 prevention among women reporting engagement in transactional sex. AIDS Care. 2023 Apr 17:1-7. doi: 10.1080/09540121.2023.2198187. PMID: 37066990
- Buma S, Banks L, Onwuka A, Althubaiti A, Wiet G. Maternal infant bonding in tracheostomy dependent infants: A cross sectional study. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2023 Apr 7;168:111549. doi: 10.1016/j.ijporl.2023.111549. PMID: 37079946
- Flax VL, Ouma EA, Schreiner MA, Ufitinema A, Niyonzima E, Colverson KE, Galiè A. Engaging fathers to support child nutrition increases frequency of children's animal source food consumption in Rwanda. PLoS One. 2023 Apr 7;18(4):e0283813. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0283813. PMID: 37027367
- Goyal RK, Chen H, Abughosh SM, Holmes HM, Candrilli SD, Johnson ML. Overall survival associated with CDK4/6 inhibitors in patients with HR+/HER2- metastatic breast cancer in the United States: A SEER-Medicare population-based study. Cancer. 2023 Apr 1;129(7):1051-1063. doi: 10.1002/cncr.34675. PMID: 36760031
- Harakuni SU, Somannavar MS, Ghanchi NK, Ahmed I, Zafar A, Kim J, Tikmani SS, Hwang K, Saleem S, Goudar SS, Dhaded S, Guruprasad G, Yasmin H, Yogeshkumar S, Aceituno A, Silver RM, McClure EM, Goldenberg RL; PURPOSe Investigators. Pathogens identified in the internal tissues and placentas of stillbirths: results from the prospective, observational PURPOSe study. BJOG. 2023 Apr 17. doi: 10.1111/1471-0528.17479. PMID: 37069731
- Hartmann, M., Appaiah, P., Datta, S., Browne, E. N., Banay, R. F., Caetano, V., Spring, H., Sreevasthsa, A., Thomas, S., & Srinivasan, K. (2023). “My family was also happy”: Couples’ qualitative reports of a combined behavioral economics and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy intervention to reduce alcohol use and intimate partner violence. Violence Against Women, 0(0). https://doi.org/10.1177/10778012231170866
- Jørgensen MD, Mikkelsen EM, Hatch EE, Rothman KJ, Wise LA, Sørensen HT, Laursen ASD. Socioeconomic status and fecundability in a Danish preconception cohort. Hum Reprod. 2023 Apr 24:dead077. doi: 10.1093/humrep/dead077. PMID: 37094974
- Kole-White MB, Saha S, Werner EF, Chawla S, Keszler M, McGowan EC, Wyckoff MH, Laptook AR; Generic Database Subcommittee of the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Neonatal Research Network. Maternal hypertensive disorders and survival without major morbidities among extremely low gestation newborns. J Perinatol. 2023 Apr;43(4):430-436. doi: 10.1038/s41372-023-01631-6. PMID: 36813902 Clinical Trial.
- Lê-Scherban F, Ettinger de Cuba S, Bovell-Ammon A, Coleman S, Rateau L, Cutts D, Black M, Heeren T, Frank DA. Association Between Material Hardship in Families With Young Children and Federal Relief Program Participation by Race and Ethnicity and Maternal Nativity. JAMA Health Forum. 2023 Apr 7;4(4):e230508. doi: 10.1001/jamahealthforum.2023.0508. PMID: 37083823
- Lorvick J, Hemberg JL, Browne EN, Comfort ML. Nonurgent Emergency Department Use Among Women Sentenced to Probation. J Correct Health Care. 2023 Apr 19. doi: 10.1089/jchc.21.11.0122. PMID: 37074346
- Maragh-Bass AC, Stoner M, Castellanos-Usigli A, Agarwal H, Katz A, Patani H, Sukhija-Cohen A, Campbell L, Arreola S, Saberi P. New PrEP options need different counseling approaches: reframing 'risk' in HIV prevention counseling for young sexual and gender minorities (YSGM) of color. AIDS. 2023 Apr 6. doi: 10.1097/QAD.0000000000003563. PMID: 37070546
- Margulis AV, Calingaert B, Kawai AT, Rivero-Ferrer E, Anthony MS. Distribution of gestational age at birth by maternal and infant characteristics in United States birth certificate data: informing gestational age assumptions when clinical estimates are not available. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2023 Apr 17. doi: 10.1002/pds.5633. PMID: 37067897
- McCall MP, Anton MT, Highlander A, Loiselle R, Forehand R, Khavjou O, Jones DJ. Technology-Enhanced Behavioral Parent Training: The Relationship Between Technology Use and Efficiency of Service Delivery. Behav Modif. 2023 Apr 22:1454455231165937. doi: 10.1177/01454455231165937. PMID: 37086169
- Meiman J, Grobman WA, Haas DM, Yee LM, Wu J, McNeil B, Wu J, Mercer B, Simhan H, Reddy U, Silver R, Parry S, Saade G, Lynch CD, Venkatesh KK. Association of Neighborhood Socioeconomic Disadvantage and Postpartum Readmission. Obstet Gynecol. 2023 Apr 6. doi: 10.1097/AOG.0000000000005151. PMID: 37026732
- Nekhlyudov L, Bellizzi K, Galligan A, King-Kallimanis B, Mayer DK, Miaskowski C, Salz T, McCarty C, Cox L, Hill C, Hendershot TP, Maiese DR, Hamilton CM. The PhenX Toolkit: standard measurement resources for cancer outcomes and survivorship research. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2023 Apr 11;115(4):473-476. doi: 10.1093/jnci/djad010. PMID: 36661316
- Peay HL, Rennie S, Henderson GE. Reporting Individual-Level Research Results from Neurocognitive and Psychological Research in People Living with HIV: Lessons from Dementia Research. Curr HIV/AIDS Rep. 2023 Apr 19. doi: 10.1007/s11904-023-00650-4. PMID: 37074528
- Perez-Plazola M, Diaz J, Stewart CP, Arnold CD, Caswell BL, Lutter CK, Werner ER, Maleta K, Turner J, Prathibha P, Liu X, Gyimah E, Iannotti L. Plasma mineral status after a six-month intervention providing one egg per day to young Malawian children: a randomized controlled trial. Sci Rep. 2023 Apr 24;13(1):6698. doi: 10.1038/s41598-023-33114-1. PMID: 37095119
- Perkins-Oines S, Dias N, Krafsur G, Abdelsalam K, Perry G, Ensley D, Jones C, Chase CCL. The effect of neonatal vaccination for bovine respiratory disease in the face of a dual challenge with bovine viral diarrhea virus and Mannheimia hemolytica. Vaccine. 2023 Apr 10:S0264-410X(23)00391-2. doi: 10.1016/j.vaccine.2023.04.005. PMID: 37045678
- Reynolds E, Blanchard S, Jalazo E, Chakraborty P, Bailey DB Jr. Newborn Screening Conditions: Early Intervention and Probability of Developmental Delay. J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2023 Apr 20. doi: 10.1097/DBP.0000000000001179. PMID: 37084319
- Rodriguez-Thompson AM, Miller AB, Wade M, Meyer KN, Machlin L, Bonar A, Patel KK, Giletta M, Hastings PD, Nock MK, Rudolph KD, Slavich GM, Prinstein MJ, Sheridan MA. Neural correlates of p-factor in adolescence: Cognitive control with and without enhanced positive affective demands. Biol Psychiatry Cogn Neurosci Neuroimaging. 2023 Apr 14:S2451-9022(23)00076-9. doi: 10.1016/j.bpsc.2023.03.012. PMID: 37062361
- Sauder KA, Couzens GL, Bailey RL, Hockett CW, Switkowski KM, Lyall K, Kerver JM, Dabelea D, Maldonado LE, O'Connor TG, Deoni SC, Glueck DH, Catellier DJ; program collaborators for Environmental influences on Child Health Outcomes. Selecting a dietary supplement with appropriate dosing for 6 key nutrients in pregnancy. Am J Clin Nutr. 2023 Apr;117(4):823-829. doi: 10.1016/j.ajcnut.2022.12.018. PMID: 37019542
- Sewell EK, Shankaran S, Natarajan G, Laptook A, Das A, McDonald SA, Hamrick S, Baack M, Rysavy M, Higgins RD, Chalak L, Patel RM. Evaluation of heterogeneity in effect of therapeutic hypothermia by sex among infants with neonatal encephalopathy. Pediatr Res. 2023 Apr 3. doi: 10.1038/s41390-023-02586-2. PMID: 37012412
- Stevenson E, Tanabe P, Knisely M, Masese R, Bulgin D, Preiss L, Hankins JS, King AA, Gordeuk V, Shah N. Infertility and treatment-seeking practices among females and males with sickle cell disease in the Sickle Cell Disease Implementation Consortium registry. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2023 Apr 14:e30356. doi: 10.1002/pbc.30356. PMID: 37057750
- Stoner MCD, Kelly NK, Gomez-Olive FX, Kahn K, Wagner D, Bhushan NL, Aiello AE, Pettifor AE. Relationships Between Stress-Responsive Biomarkers, ART Adherence, and Viral Suppression Among Adolescent Girls and Young Women Living With HIV in South Africa: An HPTN 068 Analysis. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2023 Apr 15;92(5):349-358. doi: 10.1097/QAI.0000000000003149. PMID: 36729676
- Touré F, Etheredge GD, Brennan C, Parris K, Diallo MO, Ouffoue AF, Ekra A, Prao H, Assamoua NV, Gnongoue C, Kone F, Koffi C, Kamagaté F, Rivadeneira E, Carpenter D. Retention and Predictors of Attrition Among HIV-infected Children on Antiretroviral Therapy in Côte d'Ivoire Between 2012 and 2016. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2023 Apr 1;42(4):299-304. doi: 10.1097/INF.0000000000003839. PMID: 36689665
- Wagar MK, Forlines GL, Moellman N, Carlson A, Matthews M, Williams M. Postpartum Opportunistic Salpingectomy Compared With Bilateral Tubal Ligation After Vaginal Delivery for Ovarian Cancer Risk Reduction: A Cost-Effectiveness Analysis. Obstet Gynecol. 2023 Apr 1;141(4):819-827. doi: 10.1097/AOG.0000000000005118. PMID: 36897130
- Wango GN, Chakrabarti A, Bair EF, Thirumurthy H, Ochillo M, Okumu O, Oluoch L, Kemunto E, Bosire R, Napierala S, Agot K. Access to Oral Fluid-Based Human Immunodeficiency Virus Self-Tests Increases Testing Among Male Partners of Adolescent Girls in Kenya: A Randomized Controlled Trial. J Adolesc Health. 2023 Apr 17:S1054-139X(23)00141-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2023.02.031. PMID: 37074238
We update our website regularly with all RTI Gender-related publications under resources. Please let us know if we missed any of yours.
April Publication Feature
Researchers recently published findings examining a Rwandan government intervention, the Girinka “One Cow Per Poor Family” program, aimed at improving nutrition among young children. Through qualitative and quantitative data collected through interviews and baseline and endpoint surveys, the researchers found that the odds of children consuming any kind of animal source food (ASF) more than twice a week increased almost five times. Fathers' knowledge of ASFs also increased significantly following the program. Ultimately, this study showed that nutrition-based interventions for fathers have the potential to improve children's nutrition, particularly, their ASF intake, as well as fathers' knowledge of ASF more broadly. Read more here.
Flax VL, Ouma EA, Schreiner MA, Ufitinema A, Niyonzima E, Colverson KE, Galiè A. Engaging fathers to support child nutrition increases frequency of children's animal source food consumption in Rwanda. PLoS One. 2023 Apr 7;18(4):e0283813. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0283813. PMID: 37027367.
RTI Gender-related April Project Wins
- Lisa Greene and team for their win, NC ARPA Statewide Pb Paint and Asbestos Abatement for Public Schools and Childcare Facilities, from the NC DHHS
- Amanda Honeycutt and team for their win, Mathematical Modeling and Economic Evaluation Task, from CDC/NCHHSTP
- Tracy Dombek and team on their win, IDEA trial Boston Children's Hospital, from the Boston Children's Hospital
- Amanda Honeycutt and team on their win, Mathematical Modeling and Economic Evaluation, from CDC/NCHHSTP
- Jennifer Redmon and team on their win, NC ARPA Statewide School Pb Testing/Mitigation, from NC DHHS
- Sarah Harris and team on their win, Infant-Toddler Courts Final Report Add-On, from Zero to Three
- Stacey Cutbush and team on their win, Outcomes for Human Trafficking Survivors: Evaluation TTA for the Texas Center for Child and Family Studies (Phase 2), from the Texas Center for Child and Family Studies (TCCFS)
- Stacey Cutbush and team on their win, Developing Standards of Care for Anti-Trafficking Service Providers - Freedom Network-OVC-OTIP, from Freedom Network USA
- Naomi Freedner and team on their win, LACHS LGBTQ add-on, from the University of California Los Angeles
- Lynn Langton and team on their win, Measuring the Impact of Victim Services - Add on, from Dept of Justice NIJ
- Mark Pope and team on their win, Modesto PD CalVIP Grant Evaluation Partner, from CA City of Modesto
- Carrie Ngongo and team on their win, Capacity building for child and adolescent obesity ICs in China add on, from UNICEF - USA
- Zollie Saxon and team on their win, DEI Consulting for The Office of Equity and WSP, from the State of Washington
April Project Feature
Congratulations to Stacey Cutbush and team on their win, Outcomes for Human Trafficking Survivors: Evaluation TTA for the Texas Center for Child and Family Services! The team will work to help implement their Outcomes for Human Trafficking Survivors instrument to Texas Center for Child and Family Services grantees.
April Event Recap
In honor of Earth Day, we heard from Associate Director of the RTI Global Gender Center Ana Perez and affiliate Karen Stefiszyn about some of RTI's global energy sector work. This conversation was moderated by affiliate Dr. Carol Schmitt, and featured presentations which encompassed takeaways across multiple projects, including the Power Africa Off-grid Project. Our presenters discussed ways in which energy sector policies that support women and investments in women-owned businesses have had positive impacts in the energy sector and beyond.
If you are interested in a recording, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
MAY 2023 | 12 - 1 PM ET
Join us for a sharing session about challenges with virtual recruitment and study activities!
JUNE 16, 2023
Save the date for the 15th InWomen's Conference in Denver, Colorado! Registration is now open.
Gender Science News
Exposure to air pollution during pregnancy increases risk for flu
Drinking alcohol while breastfeeding impacts health of newborns
New genetic target for male contraception identified
Non-biological factors and social determinants of health important in women's CVD risk assessment
How do we make farming better for the planet? Ask women
Are you following us on Twitter
Don't miss out on snippets of our current gender-related research and important dates to remember!