Dear Friends and Colleagues,
May was a month of many reminders. We recognized National Women's Health Week as well as Mental Health Month, Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, and Menstrual Hygiene Day. I met Melissa Berton at Forbes who is the Executive Director of the Pad Project, working on ending the stigma of menstruation. They won an Academy Award for Best Short Documentary in 2019. RTI has also expanded our efforts on ending stigma across gender projects in the US and globally, and we plan to promote them more with our new interns this summer.
This past month we had a wonderful event on challenges in virtual recruitment efforts, with a particular focus on barriers posed by the COVID-19 pandemic. We have been getting requests for those who missed, so see below as the dialogue was recorded!
This coming month I am looking forward to our InWomen's conference in Denver, Colorado on June 16th! This will be our 15th year of convening to discuss the most pressing issues facing the field of gender-focused substance use research and clinical treatment, and I am looking forward to being reunited with global colleagues, clinicians, and those with lived experiences next month. We have 16 countries represented in our presentations this year!
This will also be a busy month for other conferences for our affiliates, with some traveling to Sweden for a symposium on gender-related studies at the AIDSImpact conference!
June is Pride Month and I encourage you to consider how you can celebrate and support LGBTQIA+ individuals in your community, workplace, and research. RTI will also be hosting an event for Pride Month co-sponsored by the RTI Global Gender Center, which you can read more about below.
Wishing you some joy in your day.
RTI Gender-related May Publications
- Bhushan NL, Chen JS, Maierhofer CN, Rutstein SE, Matoga M, Jere E, Massa C, Ndalama B, Bonongwe N, Mathiya E, Hoffman IF, Powers KA, Schwartz E, Phiri S, Miller WC, Lancaster KE. Depression, alcohol use, and sexual behaviors by HIV infection stage and diagnosis timing among STI clinic patients in Lilongwe, Malawi. AIDS Behav. 2023 May 17. doi: 10.1007/s10461-023-04075-3. PMID: 37195470.
- Bhushan NL, Shangase N, Kimaru LJ, Gomez-Olive FX, Kahn K, Pettifor AE. HIV-related behaviors among male partners of adolescent girls and young women in rural South Africa. AIDS Behav. 2023 May;27(5):1469-1477. doi: 10.1007/s10461-022-03882-4. PMID: 36318420.
- Boshe J, Brtek V, Beima-Sofie K, Braitstein P, Brooks M, Denison J, Donenberg G, Kemigisha E, Memiah P, Njuguna I, Poku O, Roberts ST, Shayo AM, Dow DE. Integrating adolescent mental health into HIV prevention and treatment programs: Can implementation science pave the path forward? AIDS Behav. 2023 May;27(Suppl 1):145-161. doi: 10.1007/s10461-022-03876-2. PMID: 36322219; PMCID: PMC9629193.
- Bradley MS, Sridhar A, Ferrante K, Andy UU, Visco AG, Florian-Rodriguez ME, Myers D, Varner E, Mazloomdoost D, Gantz MG; NICHD Pelvic Floor Disorders Network. Association between enlarged genital hiatus and composite surgical failure after vaginal hysterectomy with uterosacral ligament suspension. Urogynecology (Phila). 2023 May 1;29(5):479-488. doi: 10.1097/SPV.0000000000001309. PMID: 36701331; PMCID: PMC10132998.
- Buma S, Banks L, Onwuka A, Althubaiti A, Wiet G. Maternal infant bonding in tracheostomy dependent infants: A cross sectional study. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2023 May;168:111549. doi: 10.1016/j.ijporl.2023.111549. Epub 2023 Apr 7. PMID: 37079946.
- Fernandes M, Krebs NF, Westcott J, Tshefu A, Lokangaka A, Bauserman M, Garcés AL, Figueroa L, Saleem S, Aziz SA, Goldenberg RL, Goudar SS, Dhaded SM, Derman RJ, Kemp JF, Koso-Thomas M, Sridhar A, M McClure E, Hambidge KM; Women First Preconception Nutrition Trial Study Group. Neurodevelopment, vision and auditory outcomes at age 2 years in offspring of participants in the 'Women First' maternal preconception nutrition randomised controlled trial. Arch Dis Child. 2023 May 4:archdischild-2023-325352. doi: 10.1136/archdischild-2023-325352. PMID: 37142335.
- Handley SC, Kumbhat N, Eggleston B, Foglia EE, Davis AS, Van Meurs K, Lakshminrusimha S, Walsh M, Watterberg KL, Wyckoff MH, Das A, DeMauro SB. Exposure to umbilical cord management approaches and death or neurodevelopmental impairment at 22-26 months' corrected age after extremely preterm birth. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2023 May;108(3):224-231. doi: 10.1136/archdischild-2022-324565. PMID: 36253076; PMCID: PMC10108713.
- Jensen EA, Wiener LE, Rysavy MA, Dysart KC, Gantz MG, Eichenwald EC, Greenberg RG, Harmon HM, Laughon MM, Watterberg KL, Walsh MC, Yoder BA, Lorch SA, DeMauro SB; Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Neonatal Research Network. Assessment of corticosteroid therapy and death or disability according to pretreatment risk of death or bronchopulmonary dysplasia in extremely preterm infants. JAMA Netw Open. 2023 May 1;6(5):e2312277. doi: 10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2023.12277. PMID: 37155165; PMCID: PMC10167571.
- Kennedy AC, Prock KA, Adams AE, Littwin A, Meier E, Saba J, Vollinger L. Can this provider be trusted? A review of the role of trustworthiness in the provision of community-based services for intimate partner violence survivors. Trauma Violence Abuse. 2023 May 3:15248380231168641. doi: 10.1177/15248380231168641. PMID: 37132638.
- Laptook AR, Weydig H, Brion LP, Wyckoff MH, Arnautovic TI, Younge N, Oh W, Chowdhury D, Keszler M, Das A; National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Neonatal Research Network. Antenatal steroids, prophylactic indomethacin, and the risk of spontaneous intestinal perforation. J Pediatr. 2023 May 10:113457. doi: 10.1016/j.jpeds.2023.113457. PMID: 37172814.
- Meiman J, Grobman WA, Haas DM, Yee LM, Wu J, McNeil B, Wu J, Mercer B, Simhan H, Reddy U, Silver R, Parry S, Saade G, Lynch CD, Venkatesh KK. Association of neighborhood socioeconomic disadvantage and postpartum readmission. Obstet Gynecol. 2023 May 1;141(5):967-970. doi: 10.1097/AOG.0000000000005151. PMID: 37026732; PMCID: PMC10147577.
- Ngongo CJ, Raassen TJIP, Mahendeka M, Bisanzio D, Lombard L, Bann C. Living with obstetric fistula: Learnings from nine African countries. BMJ Glob Health. 2023 May;8(5):e012509. doi: 10.1136/bmjgh-2023-012509. PMID: 37208119; PMCID: PMC10201252.
- Nkomo S, Makoni W, Shapley-Quinn MK, Luecke E, Mbatsane E, Manenzhe K, Ahmed K, Johnson LM, Mahaka I, van der Straten A. Prospective acceptability of a multipurpose technology (MPT) implant in preclinical development to prevent HIV and unplanned pregnancy: Qualitative insights from women end users and health care providers in South Africa and Zimbabwe. PLoS One. 2023 May 17;18(5):e0285711. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0285711. PMID: 37195918; PMCID: PMC10191314.
- Ondersma SJ, Kress AM, Stroustrup A, Annett RD, Avalos LA, Talavera-Barber M, Brennan PA, Camargo CA Jr, Conradt E, Dunlop AL, Elliott AJ, Hedderson MM, Li X, McGrath M, Nguyen RHN, Page GP, Sathyanarayana S, Lester B. The association between intrauterine exposure to opioids, tobacco, alcohol, and cannabis and length of birth hospitalization among neonates without NOWS. J Perinatol. 2023 May 9. doi: 10.1038/s41372-023-01694-5. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 37160977.
- Rysavy MA, Eggleston B, Dahabreh I, Tyson JE, Patel RM, Watterberg KL, Greenberg RG, Pedroza C, Trotta M, Stevenson DK, Stoll BJ, Lally KP, Das A, Blakely ML; Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Neonatal Research Network. Generalizability of the Necrotizing Enterocolitis Surgery Trial (NEST) to the target population of eligible infants. J Pediatr. 2023 May 9:113453. doi: 10.1016/j.jpeds.2023.113453. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 37169336.
- Saleem S, McClure EM. The importance of quality data to track global progress in addressing stillbirths and neonatal mortality. Lancet Glob Health. 2023 Jun;11(6):e801-e802. doi: 10.1016/S2214-109X(23)00200-0. Epub 2023 May 8. PMID: 37167984.
- Schnefke CH, Flax VL, Ubanmhen F, Alayon S, Bose S, Daniel O, Grimes KEL, Allotey D, Seiger ER, Arije O. Attitudes, beliefs and social norms regarding infant and young child feeding among Nigerian mothers, fathers and grandmothers across time. Matern Child Nutr. 2023 May 12:e13524. doi: 10.1111/mcn.13524. PMID: 37173816.
- Stoner MCD, Browne EN, Kabudula C, Rosenberg M, Gomez-Olive FX, Neilands TB, Kang Dufour MS, Ahern J, Kahn K, Lippman SA, Pettifor AE. The effects of participation in an intensive HIV prevention trial on long-term socio- demographic outcomes among young women in rural South Africa. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2023 May 1;93(1):1-6. doi: 10.1097/QAI.0000000000003161. PMID: 36728250; PMCID: PMC10079564.
- Subramanian S, Namusoke-Magongo E, Edwards P, Atujuna M, Chimulwa T, Dow D, Jalil E, Torbunde N, Agot K, Arinaitwe I, Beizer J, Chelwa N, Mbalinda SN, Miti S, Mwangwa F. Integrated health care delivery for adolescents living with and at risk of HIV infection: A review of models and actions for implementation. AIDS Behav. 2023 May;27(Suppl 1):50-63. doi: 10.1007/s10461-022-03787-2. PMID: 35841465; PMCID: PMC9287816.
- Tahlil KM, Rachal L, Gbajabiamila T, Nwaozuru U, Obiezu-Umeh C, Hlatshwako T, Tembo M, Willis N, Nyagog CO, Vorkoper S, Sturke R, Rosenberg NE, Ojo V, Moses I, Ahmed N, Beima-Sofie K, Roberts ST, Kateera B, Namisoke-Magongo E, Mbizvo MT, Iwelunmor J, Ezechi O, Tucker JD. Assessing engagement of adolescents and young adults (AYA) in HIV research: A multi-method analysis of a crowdsourcing open call and typology of AYA engagement in Sub-Saharan Africa. AIDS Behav. 2023 May;27(Suppl 1):116-127. doi: 10.1007/s10461-022-03786-3. PMID: 35829970; PMCID: PMC9277597.
- Washio Y, Raines AL, Lv M, Pei S, Taylor SN, Zhang Z. The association of maternal smoking and drinking changes during pregnancy and postpartum breastfeeding pattern and duration. Breastfeed Med. 2023 May 4. doi: 10.1089/bfm.2022.0130. PMID: 37155202.
- Wheeler AC, Okoniewski KC, Scott S, Edwards A, Cheves E, Turner-Brown L. Pilot protocol for the Parent and Infant Inter(X)action Intervention (PIXI) feasibility study. PLoS One. 2023 May 4;18(5):e0270169. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0270169. PMID: 37141305; PMCID: PMC10159119.
We update our website regularly with all RTI Gender-related publications under resources. Please let us know if we missed any of yours.
May Publication Feature
This article details findings from a comparison of a group of adolescent girls and young women who participated in an HIV-prevention trial in a rural area of South Africa to those who did not participate in the trial to better understand how trial involvement can influence socio-demographic factors in the long term. Researchers found that participation in the trial was associated with enrollment and completion of secondary school, showing an increase in educational attainment. However, the researchers found that trial involvement did not influence likelihood of having a child before age 20.
Stoner MCD, Browne EN, Kabudula C, Rosenberg M, Gomez-Olive FX, Neilands TB, Kang Dufour MS, Ahern J, Kahn K, Lippman SA, Pettifor AE. The effects of participation in an intensive HIV prevention trial on long-term socio- demographic outcomes among young women in rural South Africa. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2023 May 1;93(1):1-6. doi: 10.1097/QAI.0000000000003161. PMID: 36728250; PMCID: PMC10079564.
RTI Gender-related May Project Wins
- Holly Peay and team on their win, Add on to 0217292 Sarepta CK-MM, from Sarepta Therapeutics
- Phillip Graham and team on their win, Forward Promise Phase III Year 3 Add-on, from The Moriah Group
- Madeline Britvec and team on their win, CKC Healthy Kids OY4 Mod (0214448.001.013), from CMS/OAGM
- Sarah Roberts and team on their win, BMGF stigma research planning grant, from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Carmen Strigel and team on their win, TangerineEFTouch to Assess Pediatric Neurocognition of Children Exposed to HIV in Kenya, from the University of Washington
- Hannah Feeney and team on their win, Examining the SANE and TeleSANE Patient Experience: An Evaluation and Tool Development, from the University of Illinois at Chicago
- Holly Peay and team on their win, Orchard Therapeutics Newborn Screening, from Orchard Therapeutics
May Project Win Feature
Congratulations Hannah Feeney and team on their win, Examining the SANE and TeleSANE Patient Experience: An Evaluation and Tool Development, from the University of Illinois at Chicago! This project seeks to better understand patient experiences with the Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) and TeleSANE programs.
May Event Recap
On May 24th, RTI Global Gender Center affiliates gathered to share their experiences conducting a variety of virtual recruitment activities, including utilizing social media to advertise to potential participants, how to best connect with providers, difficulties with using at-home testing, and more. Participants in the sharing session discussed and brainstormed potential solutions to these challenges and learned from one another.
If you are interested in watching a recording of the event, please reach out to email@example.com.
JUNE 16, 2023
Registration is ending for the 15th InWomen's Conference in Denver, Colorado! Registration is open until June 4!
JUNE 21, 2023
Keynote - Transgender Research Equity: Exploring data accessibility & thoughtful inclusion in all RTI projects
Join us for an event honoring Minority Mental Health Awareness Month
Gender Science News
Non-antibiotic treatment for women with persistent acne shown to be effective
Gender trumps politics in determining people's ability to read others' minds
Super low-cost smartphone attachment brings blood pressure monitoring to your fingertips
Researchers comprehensively assess the safety of using your head in youth soccer
Are you following us on Twitter
Don't miss out on snippets of our current gender-related research and important dates to remember!